[rancid] Hostname in router.db
Mathiruban Rajagopal
2009-11-16 04:29:11 UTC

Can I user the router hostname instead of ip address in router.db.?

Thx

Mathy.
Michael K. Smith - Adhost
2009-11-16 04:32:41 UTC
As long as the name can be resolved, by DNS or a local host file as an
example, then yes.

Mike

Insert iPhone mea culpa here.

Hi,
Mathiruban Rajagopal
2009-11-16 06:47:41 UTC

Thanks a lot Mike, I have anoter issue that I want to run rancid-run for
different device group with different time.
How to define the cron job?.

Mathy.

alex dekker
2009-11-17 20:50:53 UTC
Post by Mathiruban Rajagopal
Thanks a lot Mike, I have anoter issue that I want to run rancid-run for
different device group with different time.
How to define the cron job?.
From 'man rancid-run':

"The set of rancid groups can ... be provided as command-line arguments"

So two crontab entries with different times, each specifying the relevant
group.

alexd
Jayant Jape
2009-11-18 08:04:49 UTC

I have few queries:

1)Can we backup running configurations of the devices only and comment out other commands.
2)Presently backups are happening ip-wise can we make it hostname-wise.
3)If individual devices needs to be backed up(Incase they were not reachable at time of backup) what would be the command.....?

Thanks & Regards

Jayant

How to define the cron job?.
john heasley
2009-11-18 19:54:53 UTC
Post by Jayant Jape
Hi,
1)Can we backup running configurations of the devices only and comment out other commands.
no, minimum is show version and config, iirc.
Post by Jayant Jape
2)Presently backups are happening ip-wise can we make it hostname-wise.
yes
How to define the cron job?.
Remy Heiden
2009-11-19 00:01:09 UTC
Or as I accidentally only replied to to OP:

# rancid-run <groupename>

Or per device:

# rancidrun -r <device-ip/name>

Remy