[rancid] Fortigate diffs when nothing actually changed
Chard, Alex (RET-SYD)
2015-02-09 09:47:25 UTC
Hi All,
I know I have seen this discussed a few times on here but I haven't been able to find the resolution in the archives.

I am running Rancid 3 (not sure how to check exact version).
I have fortigates backed up in Rancid. They periodically drop/add commands from the config, and then revert back at the next backup.
This means I end up with config diffs like the following:

retrieving revision 1.11

diff -U 4 -r1.11 rausyd-lan-fw02s.corp.regn.net @@ -59530,8 +59530,9 @@

set dataset "traffic.Top10.IM.Users.Volume"

set category traffic

set favorite no

set graph-type bar

+ exit

set style auto

set dimension 3D

config x-series

set caption ''
followed by:

retrieving revision 1.12

diff -U 4 -r1.12 rausyd-lan-fw02s.corp.regn.net @@ -59530,9 +59530,8 @@

set dataset "traffic.Top10.IM.Users.Volume"

set category traffic

set favorite no

set graph-type bar

- exit

set style auto

set dimension 3D

config x-series

set caption ''

I do have the pager turned off, so that's not the issue.

And a partly related question, is there a way to have rancid download a config file by SCP rather than execute commands to retrieve it?
It seems to me this might be more successful - and also an easy way to grab config from devices that aren't supported.

Thanks,
Alex

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.
Robert Drake
2015-02-09 10:45:57 UTC
Try running the diff on the cli and check whitespace? Diff is a pretty
base-level thing, so it's not rancid that's tripping but something in
the actual config which makes it see a difference, but it's something
that doesn't show up on-screen.

If it is whitespace then there might be an error in the rancid script
that parses lines and adds a space, or there might be something in the
router that leaves whitespace where it shouldn't. Either way, it should
be correctable by having the rancid script remove the offending stuff.
Post by Chard, Alex (RET-SYD)
Hi All,
I know I have seen this discussed a few times on here but I haven’t
been able to find the resolution in the archives.
I am running Rancid 3 (not sure how to check exact version).
I have fortigates backed up in Rancid. They periodically drop/add
commands from the config, and then revert back at the next backup.
**
*retrieving revision 1.11*
*set dataset "traffic.Top10.IM.Users.Volume"*
*set category traffic*
*set favorite no*
*set graph-type bar*
*+ exit*
*set style auto*
*set dimension 3D*
*config x-series*
*set caption ''*
*retrieving revision 1.12*
[...]
Direcpath, LLC
817 West Peachtree St. NW - Suite 750 | Atlanta, GA 30308
2935B Amwiler Rd. | Atlanta,GA 30360
T 866-430-7284 | F 404.961.7060
***@direcpath.com | www.direcpath.com
Chard, Alex (RET-SYD)
2015-02-10 04:21:59 UTC
Hi Robert,
From the diff, it looks to me like it is seeing a change in the config. (The 'exit' command in this case).
But the config on the device did not change. I see this moderately frequently - it ranges from every few days to several times a day.
It does not happen on all devices.

Thanks,
Alex

***@direcpath.com<mailto:***@direcpath.com> | www.direcpath.com<http://www.direcpath.com>

heasley
2015-02-09 17:18:36 UTC
Post by Chard, Alex (RET-SYD)
I am running Rancid 3 (not sure how to check exact version).
rancid -V; clogin -V; etc etc
Post by Chard, Alex (RET-SYD)
I have fortigates backed up in Rancid. They periodically drop/add commands from the config, and then revert back at the next backup.
retrieving revision 1.11
set dataset "traffic.Top10.IM.Users.Volume"
set category traffic
set favorite no
set graph-type bar
+ exit
set style auto
set dimension 3D
config x-series
set caption ''
retrieving revision 1.12
set dataset "traffic.Top10.IM.Users.Volume"
set category traffic
set favorite no
set graph-type bar
- exit
is that perhaps the login script getting ahead of itself, and not a change
in the config?
Chard, Alex (RET-SYD)
2015-02-10 02:25:51 UTC
It is Rancid 3.1

I could well believe that it is the script getting ahead of itself... Can I slow it down somehow?

Thanks,
Alex

heasley
2015-02-10 23:53:08 UTC
Post by Chard, Alex (RET-SYD)
Hi,
It is Rancid 3.1
I could well believe that it is the script getting ahead of itself... Can I slow it down somehow?
it (can) happens if the script sends two commands without waiting for a
prompt or sees something in the o/p that looks like a prompt.

I dont have any of these; you or someone with one will have to debug it,
or provide access to one, or provide o/p from

fnlogin -d -t 90 -c 'get system status;show full-configuration' hostname 2>log