[rancid] hlogin timeout
Hugo Deprez
2011-04-27 15:00:58 UTC
Hello guys,

I'm trying to backup HP Procurve switches.
Model I tried are : HP-2610, HP-2810 and HP-2510

To debug i try the following command :

sudo -u rancid /var/lib/rancid/bin/hlogin -c "show version" HP-2610

I always block at the HP UI :

Copyright (C) 1991-2009 Hewlett-Packard Co. All Rights Reserved.

RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND

[...]

Press to key to ctntieue

The hlogin return Error: TIMEOUT reached

I am running Debian Squeeze with rancid 2.3.3-1 (official package)

Is that a bug from this rancid version ?

Thanks in advance

Hugo
john heasley
2011-04-27 15:41:26 UTC
Post by Hugo Deprez
I'm trying to backup HP Procurve switches.
Model I tried are : HP-2610, HP-2810 and HP-2510
[...]
Press to key to ctntieue
The hlogin return Error: TIMEOUT reached
I am running Debian Squeeze with rancid 2.3.3-1 (official package)
Is that a bug from this rancid version ?
yes, sort of. a change in linux libc caused this. grab 2.3.6 from
ftp.shrubbery.net
Hugo Deprez
2011-04-27 15:56:30 UTC
Hello John,

thank you for the information.
I'll have a look for the latest rancid version.

Regards,

Hugo
ftp.shrubbery.net
Per-Olof Olsson
2011-04-30 05:39:10 UTC
Post by john heasley
Post by Hugo Deprez
I'm trying to backup HP Procurve switches.
Model I tried are : HP-2610, HP-2810 and HP-2510
[...]
Press to key to ctntieue
The hlogin return Error: TIMEOUT reached
I am running Debian Squeeze with rancid 2.3.3-1 (official package)
Is that a bug from this rancid version ?
yes, sort of. a change in linux libc caused this. grab 2.3.6 from
ftp.shrubbery.net
Or bug in rancid 2.3.3
"Missing hpuifilter in hlogin"

Look for subject
"[rancid] Re: Rancid stopped working for my HP switches"
from 04/03/2010
and/or
[rancid] SSH issues "couldn't compile regular expression pattern:
parentheses () not balanced
from 06/23/2010

Peo
Per-Olof Olsson Email: ***@chalmers.se
Chalmers tekniska högskola IT-service
Hörsalsvägen 5 412 96 Göteborg
Tel: 031/772 6738 Fax: 031/772 8680
Hugo Deprez

Paul Gear
2011-04-28 03:17:49 UTC
Post by Hugo Deprez
Hello guys,
I'm trying to backup HP Procurve switches.
Model I tried are : HP-2610, HP-2810 and HP-2510
sudo -u rancid /var/lib/rancid/bin/hlogin -c "show version" HP-2610
When i deployed RANCID, i found that forgetting to set autoenable on
ProCurve switches resulted in very similar behaviour. Check that you
have it set. I found that using the patch for expect was not necessary
in my case.

Paul
john heasley
2011-04-29 18:24:25 UTC
Post by Paul Gear
When i deployed RANCID, i found that forgetting to set autoenable on
ProCurve switches resulted in very similar behaviour. Check that you
have it set.
true, but given the mangling in the output that he provided, i'm about
99% sure its their libc change for wide characters.
Post by Paul Gear
I found that using the patch for expect was not necessary
in my case.
thats probably luck of the timing.