[rancid] Restore Older Rancid Configurations to Newer Rancid Server
Smokeping slt
2011-06-30 04:12:00 UTC
hi all.

My older rancid server got currupt due to hard disk failure. I had a backup of all the configuration inside /usr/local/rancid folder[etc, bin share, var]
It stored lot of configurations changes in routers using their coressponding revision numbers.

I freshly installed the rancid system on top of new server. Now I need to restore the older configurations to the new server. I copied the contents of this backup folder to my new server folder.[attached]

But Still the old data not showing. How can I sort out this problem.

your responses are very much.

Thanks
Smokeping slt

Thanks
Smokeping slt
2011-06-30 06:08:13 UTC
hi ,

tnx for your response. But I didnt get your poing clearly. My fresh installation work fines. Then I restored the config in all /var folder with my older configurations.

what else do I need to do ? Please guide me to solve the issu.

tnx

P C
2011-06-30 15:03:43 UTC
If anyone knows of a migration guide in general or tips/pointers for
performing a migration while retaining data, I would love to hear it.

Sure, it's easy enough to move the config to a new install, but I'm not
terribly familiar with the back end CVS bits interact with rancid and how
fork-lifting a CVS database over might affect things...

Smokeping slt
2011-07-11 04:04:15 UTC
hi all,

Still I couldnt solve this issue. Where this configuration revision numbers stored. I only take the bakup of /usr/local/rancid directory.

Even I restore all the configurations , revision numbers of each configuration file not showned.

I followed the installation process using this URL : http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch1_:_Network_Backups_With_Rancid

Please help me to solve this out

tnx
Smokeping slt
2011-07-12 06:58:01 UTC
hi ,

tnx for you reply . I search for the files that you have mentioned. But I couldnt find such a file.

[***@rancid ~]# find / -name *.cvs
[***@rancid ~]# find / -name *.svn
/usr/share/doc/pcsc-lite-1.4.4/ChangeLog.svn
[***@rancid ~]#

So this should not be the files which stored revision numbers. I couldnt find where they are stored

your responses are highly.

tnx

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:59:13 -0700
Subject: Re: [rancid] Restore Older Rancid Configurations to Newer Rancid Server
From: ***@gheek.net
To: ***@hotmail.com

The revision number is stored as part of the SVN/CVS. It should be in the .cvs or .svn files somewhere.