[rancid] Diffs config and save if it's changed
Alberto Bernárdez
2009-06-18 16:14:30 UTC
Hi, I have installed rancid and it works perfectly. IŽm trying to copy
config to other dir if itŽs changed. IŽm trying to use logrotate because
rancid overwrite config with the newest (I think) but results arenŽt good.
My goal: backup rancid configs because if i have a trouble after make a
change, i have the possibility to return original.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Berto
alex
2009-06-18 20:25:29 UTC
Hi, I have installed rancid and it works perfectly. I´m trying to copy
config to other dir if it´s changed. I´m trying to use logrotate because
rancid overwrite config with the newest (I think) but results aren´t good.
My goal: backup rancid configs because if i have a trouble after make a
change, i have the possibility to return original.
If I were you, I'd back up the CVS directory, as you'll then a history of the
config, rather than just the latest configs. My personal choice of backup tool
is rsync, as it is network transparent and intelligent about when or when not
to copy something, ie it'll handle the logic of when a file has changed rather
than you having to work it out.

alexd
N***@guesswho.com
2009-06-18 20:36:09 UTC
Alex,
If I understand what you really want you shouldn't have to backup any "old" configs. The whole point of Rancid is to backup up configs when they change and also keep the old versions in CVS so you can go back to your previous config or for that matter go back to the config that was X number of changes ago.

Have a look at cvsweb if you like web interfaces. It will display your configs and also allow you to diff the current config to any previous config. Keep in mind this is only an interface to view what Rancid already handles under the hood.

Nick

alexd
alex
2009-06-19 18:11:36 UTC
Post by N***@guesswho.com
Alex,
If I understand what you really want you shouldn't have to backup any "old"
configs. The whole point of Rancid is to backup up configs when they
change and also keep the old versions in CVS so you can go back to your
previous config or for that matter go back to the config that was X number
of changes ago.
Sorry, I didn't quite make myself clear. I meant to suggest to the OP that if
he wants a backup, he should back up the whole lot rather than just the latest
router configs. Re-reading his question, it may be that he wants to back up
RANCID's config, not that of the routers it has polled.
Post by N***@guesswho.com
Have a look at cvsweb if you like web interfaces. It will display your
configs and also allow you to diff the current config to any previous
config. Keep in mind this is only an interface to view what Rancid already
handles under the hood.
Yes, using CVSweb just fine here. If I could get lg.cgi working, it would be
perfect!

alexd