[rancid] missed cmd(s): write term
Barry O'Donovan
2009-01-05 21:10:57 UTC
Folks,

I'm getting the above error for one of our routers which worked previously. It
is most likely due to an IOS upgrade.

However, I see from the archives that this question is asked a lot but no one
seems to have an answer and I imagine it affects a lot of IOS versions based
on this.

When running:

rancid -d router.domain.ie

with:

setenv NOPIPE YES

I can see that the issue is because the 'write term' is not echoed to screen:

router#show running-config
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 32864 bytes
ntp server 10.2.2.3
!
end

router#Building configuration...

Current configuration : 32864 bytes

and as such, rancid does not think the command executed.

Now, I can do a local hack to work around this but I'd prefer a more
universally acceptable and useful solution.

I guess my question is does anyone have one or does anyone have an ideas?

Thanks,
Barry
john heasley
2009-01-06 00:06:23 UTC
Post by Barry O'Donovan
Folks,
I'm getting the above error for one of our routers which worked previously. It
is most likely due to an IOS upgrade.
However, I see from the archives that this question is asked a lot but no one
seems to have an answer and I imagine it affects a lot of IOS versions based
on this.
rancid -d router.domain.ie
setenv NOPIPE YES
router#show running-config
Building configuration...
Current configuration : 32864 bytes
ntp server 10.2.2.3
!
end
router#Building configuration...
given that output/last line, I presume that something caused clogin to
send the write term command before the actual prompt appeared. This
is what causes rancid to not see it. I believe this problem has since
been fixed, so either you have an older version of clogin or one that
has been hacked.
Barry O'Donovan
2009-01-06 08:51:28 UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.
Post by john heasley
Post by Barry O'Donovan
router#Building configuration...
given that output/last line, I presume that something caused clogin to
send the write term command before the actual prompt appeared. This
is what causes rancid to not see it. I believe this problem has since
been fixed, so either you have an older version of clogin or one that
has been hacked.
I'm afraid not. I'm running the latest version (2.3.1) and a diff of my clogin
against a fresh download matches exactly.

- Barry