[rancid] Problem with Rancid and Nexus 7000
Matt L
2011-02-09 16:02:13 UTC
So I have Rancid working fine with all my other gear, ASA 5510's, Catalyst
3560's, etc. We recently installed a Nexus 7000 and I have been trying to
get it going with Rancid.

I created a new TACACS user for this purpose (due to the way logins work for
NX-OS), defined it in cloginrc with autoenable as '1'.

This is what happens if I just run clogin to the box with no extra flags:

[***@linuxhost ~]$ clogin nexus
nexus
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancidnx nexus
#User Access Verification#
Password:

It just sits there and does nothing at this point. I can enter the password
manually and it will login successfully.

If I remove the autoenable from cloginrc, it will successfully login, but
then hang there (I assume waiting for enable prompt which will never
appear).

Rancid version is 2.3.3 (I have tried with 2.3.6 clogin separately as well).

NX-OS version is 5.1(2).

Obviously until I can get past the initial login, I can't test with nxrancid
or any type of automation.

Any ideas? Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks,

Matt
john heasley
2011-02-09 18:25:15 UTC
Post by Matt L
So I have Rancid working fine with all my other gear, ASA 5510's, Catalyst
3560's, etc. We recently installed a Nexus 7000 and I have been trying to
get it going with Rancid.
I created a new TACACS user for this purpose (due to the way logins work for
NX-OS), defined it in cloginrc with autoenable as '1'.
nexus
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancidnx nexus
#User Access Verification#
where are the #'s coming from? from your tacacs, i suspect. that looks
like a cli prompt to clogin.
Matt L
2011-02-09 18:22:34 UTC
Default login banner. Someone mentioned to me privately to change it to
remove any #'s, and that actually did the trick. So everything looks good
now.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
Chris Moody
2011-02-09 19:26:38 UTC
Routt, Brian
2011-07-29 19:22:51 UTC
How did you remove the #? I removed my banner and used different delimiters (}) but the running config still displays #.
To illustrate, I typed this
banner motd }
Message text
}

But the config still displays this

banner motd #
Message text
#

Thanks
-Brian Routt

john heasley
2011-07-29 20:11:41 UTC
Post by Routt, Brian
How did you remove the #? I removed my banner and used different delimiters (}) but the running config still displays #.
are you sure thats the problem? assuming that your problem still lies
Post by Routt, Brian
Post by Matt L
nexus
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancidnx nexus
#User Access Verification#
where are the #'s coming from? from your tacacs, i suspect. that looks
like a cli prompt to clogin.
thats not the banner in the configuration. clogin should, after the
_displayed_ banner and successful login, acquire a more specific match
of the prompt and avoid matching the #s in the configuration.