[rancid] Rancid and mail with who made the change
ricardo
2008-05-01 09:05:44 UTC
I have a successful working rancid, but my boss want also that rancid
when send the mail with the change send also the user who made the
change, I searched on the web and the discussion list but don't saw any
answer. Help me please and sorry if my English is not the best.
ricardo
2008-05-01 09:07:03 UTC
Christopher Hunt

Todd Heide
2008-05-16 19:40:41 UTC
Put Tacacs+ on the server and have the devices AAA from it. You will
have an accounting record of who logs in when and does what to the
device. Let me know if you would like the tarball of what I have been
using now for the past few years. It runs on any linux platform that has
MySql installed.

Todd

Nothing ever goes as planned, Its a hell of a notion,
Even pharaohs turn to sand, Like a drop in the ocean
2008-05-16 20:18:28 UTC
Rancid's not really suited for reporting who did what since it runs on
a schedule and multiple people could have logged in since the last
run.

If you don't use tacacs+ but you do have logging set up, I stumbled
across this event manager script somewhere that records all executed
commands to the system log. So if something bad happens you can go
back through the logs to see who did it. Works fine for us to achieve
the same accountability.

event manager applet CLIaccounting
event cli pattern ".*" sync no skip no
action 1.0 syslog priority informational msg "$_cli_msg"
set 2.0 _exit_status 1
!

David
Higham, Josh
2008-05-05 16:44:17 UTC
Rancid itself cannot do this (to my knowledge).

You could have rancid grab the log buffer, or better yet send it to a
syslog server, but that doesn't match the user with the changes. I
believe that there was some discussion about having a script monitor the
syslog messages for changes, and then run rancid, which could do what
you want with some customization.

Thanks,
Josh
Chris Stave