[rancid] Catalyst 2960
Steve Ousley
2008-11-13 14:10:14 UTC
Hi

We have 2 Catalyst 2960 switches that rancid is unable to get the configs
from.

I have tried to clogin to the catalyst switches, and it logs in ok, however,
I cannot type anything on the command line to get anything from the switch,
the connection simply times out after a given period.

I know the rancid user works ok as I can telnet to the switch from the
rancid machine, and view output as normal, but whenever I do this from
within rancid or clogin, it fails.

The config that I have is:

x.x.x.x:cisco:up in the router.db file.

Has anyone seen anything like this in the past and corrected it?

Steve Ousley - SO620-RIPE

Nuco Technologies Ltd

<mailto:***@host-it.co.uk> ***@host-it.co.uk

<http://www.nucotechnologies.com/> www.nucotechnologies.com

Tel. 0870 165 1300

Nuco Technologies Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
with company number 04470751
Martin, Seth
2008-11-13 14:23:38 UTC
Is the user you log in with privileged or does it require enable? Have
you set the appropriate autoenable in the cloginrc file?

________________________________

***@host-it.co.uk <mailto:***@host-it.co.uk>

www.nucotechnologies.com <http://www.nucotechnologies.com/>

alex
2008-11-13 14:31:15 UTC
Post by Steve Ousley
I have tried to clogin to the catalyst switches, and it logs in ok,
however, I cannot type anything on the command line to get anything from
the switch, the connection simply times out after a given period.
Your autoenable settings are wrong.
Post by Steve Ousley
Has anyone seen anything like this in the past and corrected it?
Yes. Whenever I've seen this [with routers and ASAs] it's been that the
autoenable setting in .cloginrc is wrong. RANCID is waiting for the '>'
prompt, but because the credentials you've told it to use are auto-enabled,
it never sees a '>' [only a '#'] so it times out.]

alexd
Steve Ousley
2008-11-13 15:19:28 UTC
Hi Alex

Thanks for this explanation. Someone else already posted me the solution,
but this is useful to see exactly WHY that setting changed the behaviour :)

For the record, the setting was:

Add autoenable hostname 1

Many thanks for the swift responses and resolution.