[rancid] Question about retaining multiple versions of Cisco configs
Stephen Novotny
2009-03-11 19:32:16 UTC
Hello,

We are currently on the verge of deploying RANCID as a production
system. Is there a way to retain a number of last good configs in the
../rancid/var/<netname>/configs directory? Currently it retains a
single config which I assume is overwritten when a change is observed.
We would like to retain the last 3 revisions.

Regards
Stephen
Mike Ashcraft
2009-03-11 19:42:36 UTC
Rancid stores configurations in CVS (or SVN if you configure it to do so). This facilitates accessing the configuration from any time period, including the last 3 revisions, up to the amount of disk space you are willing to allocate for storage.

Read up on how to use CVS to checkout and compare any current or previous configuration for each device.

Stephen
Todd Heide
2009-03-11 19:56:17 UTC
You can setup ViewVC to view the diffs via web interface. I use that
and its great, instant access for anyone who has authorization to view
it. They don't need to know how to use CVS or need to have a login for
the Linux box.

Thanks
Todd