[rancid] End of run not found on telnet
Gary Douglas
2013-06-05 14:22:29 UTC
I have rancid 2.3.6 up an running on Ubuntu server. All devices are Cisco. SSH is working fine. When I try run rancid on switches that only support telnet, I get the following error.

switch: missed cmd(s): write term,show running-config
switch: End of run not found

clogin works great to these switches. I though it might be the expect problem. I downloaded and installed expect-5.43.0_hack.tar.bz2 and tcl8.4.18-src.tar.gz from the ftp site. This did not resolve the problem.

Any ideas on what or where I need to look.

Thank you
Gary Douglas
Paul Gear
2013-06-12 22:43:57 UTC
Post by Gary Douglas
I have rancid 2.3.6 up an running on Ubuntu server. All devices are
Cisco. SSH is working fine. When I try run rancid on switches that only
support telnet, I get the following error.
switch: missed cmd(s): write term,show running-config
switch: End of run not found
clogin works great to these switches. I though it might be the expect
problem. I downloaded and installed expect-5.43.0_hack.tar.bz2 and
tcl8.4.18-src.tar.gz from the ftp site. This did not resolve the problem.
Any ideas on what or where I need to look.
Hi Gary,

I've seen similar things when autoenable was set to the wrong value.

Regards,
Paul
Polanski, Gregory
2013-06-12 23:19:03 UTC
Folks

Check the login and motd banner. If there is a '#' in the banner, it will suppress the enable commands and the produce the errors that you are seeing.

This debug sequence has been helpful to me

sudo login -f rancid
As user rancid
source /etc/rancid/rancid.conf
NOPIPE=yes;export NOPIPE
rancid -d switchname

Look for *.new and *.raw in the directory

Regards
Greg