[rancid] rancid - Cisco WLC devices
Steven Houchen
2016-11-30 18:31:53 UTC
I know this has been covered, I have read through each post about this previously. I am still rather new to Rancid and Linux (Ubuntu) I have downloaded the ciscowlc5 and wlogin scripts, pasted them into rancid/bin. I have edited the rancid-fe file and added cisco-wlc;ciscowlc cisco-wlc5;ciscowlc5. I do not know what else I need to do to get the backups to work on the WLC devices. I have also setup the device hostname as hostname;cisco-wlc5;up in the router.db file. In the logs I get couldn’t read file no such file or directory hostname: missed cmd(s): all commands end of run not found. Thank yo for any help in advanced!

Steven Houchen
Systems Administrator
MedProAdvantage, LLC
PH: (309) 674-7546 x12473
HelpDesk: ***@medproadvantage.com<mailto:***@medproadvantage.com>

Benefiting clients in Illinois and Iowa
Soderstrom Dermatology Center, S.C. * Skin Dimensions Day Spa * Skin Dimensions Boutique * Skin Dimensions Online * Peoria Ambulatory Surgical Center

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message and all contents (including any attachments) from the Soderstrom Dermatology Center, S.C./MedPro Advantage, LLC or any of its affiliates are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510-2521 and the Health Information Portability & Accountability Act, 45 CFR §§160 & 164. It is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message and attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential, trade secret or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient, any disclosure, copy, distribution or issue of the contents of this message is prohibited. Please contact the sender by reply e-mail or by phone and destroy all copies of the original message immediately.
heasley
2016-11-30 19:04:29 UTC
I know this has been covered, I have read through each post about this previously. I am still rather new to Rancid and Linux (Ubuntu) I have downloaded the ciscowlc5 and wlogin scripts, pasted them into rancid/bin. I have edited the rancid-fe file and added cisco-wlc;ciscowlc cisco-wlc5;ciscowlc5. I do not know what else I need to do to get the backups to work on the WLC devices. I have also setup the device hostname as hostname;cisco-wlc5;up in the router.db file. In the logs I get couldn’t read file no such file or directory hostname: missed cmd(s): all commands end of run not found. Thank yo for any help in advanced!
I suggest that you install rancid 3.5.1 and use the WLC scripts that come
with that version. Or at least start there. I am not aware of any problems
with them.
Steven Houchen

2016-11-30 19:19:57 UTC
Post by Steven Houchen
Can I just install this over the current version that I have running. I set this up through the package in Ubuntu. It took me a really long time to get all this working as a am a newbie with this. I am currently on version 3.3.0.
yes, if you can find the configure arguments that ubuntu used to build
rancid. they alter some of:

Installation directories:
--prefix=PREFIX install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
[/usr/local/rancid]
--exec-prefix=EPREFIX install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
[PREFIX]

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
--bindir=DIR user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
--sbindir=DIR system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
--libexecdir=DIR program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
--sysconfdir=DIR read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
--sharedstatedir=DIR modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
--localstatedir=DIR modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
--libdir=DIR object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
--includedir=DIR C header files [PREFIX/include]
--datarootdir=DIR read-only arch.-independent data root [PREFIX/share]
--datadir=DIR read-only architecture-independent data [DATAROOTDIR]
--localedir=DIR locale-dependent data [DATAROOTDIR/locale]
--mandir=DIR man documentation [DATAROOTDIR/man]

someone more familiar with linux might be able to help you find the right
knobs.
Marcin Dulak
2016-11-30 21:49:06 UTC
Check my recent path about "missed cmd(s): all commands"
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2016-November/009293.html
This helps understanding how rancid settings are related to the scripts and
perl modules that rancid provides.

Marcin
2016-12-02 18:31:52 UTC
Post by Steven Houchen
Can I just install this over the current version that I have running. I set this up through the package in Ubuntu. It took me a really long time to get all this working as a am a newbie with this. I am currently on version 3.3.0.
I just wanted to think you for bringing this up and the answers. I didn't even bother trying the WLC's as they are so weird, but after a bit of digging (magic name for me was cisco-wlc5, there's also a 4) it seemed to work perfectly. I found I also needed "noenable" defined for these, not sure if that's our setup or normal.

But having done that it all worked perfectly.

To the OP, if the distros are out of date (and it looks as though they are), you might look at just building it yourself. While the paths will end up differently, this is about all it takes on Ubuntu to get a working config built from source. DO NOT JUST DO THIS on a working system as the paths change, and any existing rancid will be separate and trying to run at the same time, perhaps. I just offer this as sometimes "build from source" sounds so ominous, but it's not here. This presumes you have the required libraries, which you should have most of with a distro package installed. I don't have a rancid only list as I have so many other items installed, or I would share it.

wget ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/rancid-3.5.1.tar.gz
tar -zxvf rancid-3.5.1.tar.gz
cd rancid-3.5.1
./configure --prefix=/home/rancid --localstatedir=/home/rancid/var/rancid
make install

You could play with the configs, as mentioned, and probably get them to build over the same paths. With the above I think you need to change the rancid's account's PATH also to include the new bin directory this creates.

But if you have a system you can experiment on, you can keep it more up to date with building it yourself, without a lot of trouble.

Thanks.

Linwood