[rancid] Can't login to device
Ryan Johnson
2013-10-16 12:08:55 UTC
Hello,

I used http://openmaniak.com/rancid_tutorial.php tutorial for installing Rancid on my Windows + Cygwin machine.
However I cannot connect to any device via "clogin x.x.x.x". To be honest, I have no idea why.
I have ping, telent and ssh working from my cygwin machine to my network equipment.

Let's assume that I have catalyst 2600 switch with local username and password. I can access it via telnet.

In my .cloginrc file there are lines as above:
add method 10.1.1.40 telnet
add user 10.1.1.40 ryan
add password 10.1.1.40 magicPass enablePass

At /home/rancid/var/groupName/router.db looks like that:
10.1.1.40:cisco:up

But when I'm trying to execute clogin command, nothing happens:

***@backup /home/rancid
$ /home/rancid/bin/clogin 10.2.3.40
***@backup /home/rancid

Can anyone help?
Alan McKinnon
2013-10-16 12:29:29 UTC
Post by Ryan Johnson
Hello,
I used http://openmaniak.com/rancid_tutorial.php tutorial for installing Rancid on my Windows + Cygwin machine.
However I cannot connect to any device via "clogin x.x.x.x". To be honest, I have no idea why.
I have ping, telent and ssh working from my cygwin machine to my network equipment.
Let's assume that I have catalyst 2600 switch with local username and password. I can access it via telnet.
add method 10.1.1.40 telnet
add user 10.1.1.40 ryan
add password 10.1.1.40 magicPass enablePass
10.1.1.40:cisco:up
$ /home/rancid/bin/clogin 10.2.3.40
Can anyone help?
The lack of output is extremely unusual.

Check permissions on ~/.cloginrc, the file cannot be world readable or
writeable. I've had it silently fail on me before.

then try

clogin -d <host>

the output is very verbose, so it's best to redirect it or pipe it to
less and examine it closely.
--
Alan McKinnon
***@gmail.com
Hinote, Scotty (MSFC-IS40)[NICS]
2013-10-16 14:12:59 UTC
You can also try to telnet to your device directly.

telnet -d ***@10.1.1.40

This will open a telnet session in debug mode. It will display verbose output that should give an explicit error. If clogin isn't reporting any error messages then the server is most likely not able to connect to the device; firewall, ACL, no route to device.

Regards,
Scotty