[rancid] Cisco 3550 - Vlan DB
Satyam Mathura
2009-07-07 19:17:10 UTC
Guys,
I've noticed that Rancid is not pulling the vlan database from my cisco
3550's but does so for my 3750's and 7600's. Vlan configuration is not done
by the old vlan database commands on the 3550. No errors in logs. Any
ideas???
Diego Ercolani
2009-07-08 07:12:43 UTC
Why don't you post the commands to get the missed configurations from your
device, and a sort of recipe to understand that what rancid is telnet to is a
3550?

In data martedì 07 luglio 2009 21:17:10, Satyam Mathura ha scritto:
: > Guys,
ideas???
john heasley
2009-07-08 22:46:19 UTC
Post by Satyam Mathura
Guys,
I've noticed that Rancid is not pulling the vlan database from my cisco
3550's but does so for my 3750's and 7600's. Vlan configuration is not done
by the old vlan database commands on the 3550. No errors in logs. Any
ideas???
its not collected because its in that vlan-edit-command mode, which doesnt
really work with clogin, in particular for devices that do not have the
vlan database.

afaik, unless you get kinky with your vlan config, there is no essential
information there that can't be recreated with info from the IOS running
config, assuming that your IOS verions is < ~5 years old.
Satyam Mathura
2009-07-09 17:25:38 UTC
Guys,
IOS currently in use on my 3550's is c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE1.bin.
Vlan configurations are all done using config terminal and are NOT done
using the old vlan database mode.
As far as i can tell no commands via clogin are being missed when run
against the 3550.
Jon Lewis
2009-07-09 19:38:18 UTC
Post by john heasley
its not collected because its in that vlan-edit-command mode, which doesnt
really work with clogin, in particular for devices that do not have the
vlan database.
I don't know if this makes a difference, but we're running 3550s with
12.1 code and using VTP. VLANs are configured via the "vlan database"
interface at the CLI...not in config mode. Rancid has no problem picking
up our VLAN database (numbers, names).

I know the OP was running newer IOS, and don't know if he's using VTP.

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |
Satyam Mathura
2009-07-09 20:39:21 UTC
Guys i've found a solution.
Rancid does a version check before running Sh Vlan. If the version returned
is 3550 then it returns an error and does not execute sh vlan.

Edit /usr/bin/rancid
comment out the following line in the ShowVLAN subroutine
# return(1) if ($type =~ /^(3550|4500)$/);

Vlan database information is now correctly returned for my 3550s
_________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp<http://www.lewis.org/%7Ejlewis/pgp>for PGP public key_________
Jon Lewis
2009-07-09 21:07:44 UTC
Post by Satyam Mathura
Guys i've found a solution.
Rancid does a version check before running Sh Vlan. If the version returned
is 3550 then it returns an error and does not execute sh vlan.
Edit /usr/bin/rancid
comment out the following line in the ShowVLAN subroutine
# return(1) if ($type =~ /^(3550|4500)$/);
Ah...I'm also running an older RANCID release, but the similar line in our
ShowVLAN was commented out. I must have run into similar trouble years
ago and forgotten about it.