[rancid] Added 3com BLS switches (2948) and corrected script for fortigate 80, and OpenSuSE spec file
Diego Ercolani
2009-06-12 13:28:26 UTC
I did some work on the 2.3.2 version adding:
1. patch for svn update but it does not seem to work correctly
infact the rancid 2.3.2 out of the box used with subversion, the first
commit complaints with: "my working copy is out of date"
(http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#wc-out-of-date)

2. patched the fnlogin an fnrancid script to use our fortigate 80 gateway

3. created 3cblslogin an 3cblsrancid to permit the use of rancid with 3com
baseline switches

Last but not least I created a spec file to make RPMs for the OpenSuSe
distribution

Please add and these patches to the main trunk of rancid.

Patches must be applied in the correct order:
1. svn-out-of-date.patch
2. fortigate2x_3x.patch
3 3combls_addon.patch

Hope this help
Diego
Diego Ercolani
2009-06-12 13:49:46 UTC
a little note on my patches... they are not intended for production
environment and are a little bit tied on my infrastructure.

It appears that rancid suite is far from be an out of the box product, I think
you have to personalize scripts you are using on your infrastructure. And of
course, to understand what is going on, you have to know a little bit of:
subversion (or cvs)
expect and tcl
perl

...not so easy for today sysadm that are used to click only on Next in PC
installation wizards...
Jethro R Binks
2009-06-12 20:50:03 UTC
Post by Diego Ercolani
It appears that rancid suite is far from be an out of the box product, I
think you have to personalize scripts you are using on your
infrastructure. And of course, to understand what is going on, you have
to know a little bit of: subversion (or cvs) expect and tcl perl
Not typically. For the supported devices, and by following the
installation instructions, and by suitable configuration, there shouldn't
be any need to 'personalize scripts'. If, for a supported device, you
need to do that, then the required changes with explanation should be fed
back to the project for consideration for inclusion for the benefit of
everyone.
Post by Diego Ercolani
...not so easy for today sysadm that are used to click only on Next in
PC installation wizards...
That's hardly a problem exclusive to rancid, however. Given the variety
of platforms it is intended to be used on, it is somewhat difficult to
make it clicky-clicky or seamless install. Sysadmins desiring that sort
of functionality should stick to the platforms that provide it.
Otherwise, they are going to have to learn to do a thing or two -- and be
better sysadmins in the long run for doing so.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK