[rancid] Delete( Remove) old revision cvs
Thiago Lacerda Zago
2007-08-17 14:45:55 UTC

I'm using cvsweb with rancid to control my revisions and they are growing and I wonder to know if there is a way to supress or even remove old revisions from the history tree.

My revisions graph tree is growing fast and the older diffs are meaningless in this occasion (startup operation).

I was checking in the cvs commands and found this solution (cvs admin -o allows you to "oblitereate" revisions. Read the man page. ) but have not tested yet because they don't recommend it so.

Is there another approach to tackle this problems?

Thanks in advance.

Thiago Zago
* TIM Rio - Gestão de Rede/COR
* HYPERLINK "mailto:***@timbrasil.com.br"***@timbrasil.com.br

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
john heasley
2007-08-17 23:52:48 UTC
Post by Thiago Lacerda Zago
Hi,
I'm using cvsweb with rancid to control my revisions and they are growing and I wonder to know if there is a way to supress or even remove old revisions from the history tree.
My revisions graph tree is growing fast and the older diffs are meaningless in this occasion (startup operation).
I was checking in the cvs commands and found this solution (cvs admin -o allows you to "oblitereate" revisions. Read the man page. ) but have not tested yet because they don't recommend it so.
Is there another approach to tackle this problems?
I've used -o to delete old revisions and have not had a problem with it,
but it is true that it could create issues if you wish to create diffs
against old revisions or re-create old revisions.

I wouldn't expect the growing number of reivisons to create a real issue,
but if you insist and wish to be 100% safe, start with new revisions or
write a script that re-creates a range of versions and commits them under
a new name. eg:
for 1 2 3 in ver; do
cvs -d ./CVS co -p $ver group/config/host > group/config/newhost
cvs commit -m 'updates' group/config/newhost
done

again, I recommend that you just leave it alone or re-start with a clean
slate.