[rancid] Rancid use
Harlei Lima
2017-01-27 13:30:00 UTC
Dear.

I would like to know if I can use rancid to backup a linux server, apache
server among others for example, or if it does not apply to those cases, or
just for specific devices?

Atenciosamente:
Harlei Julio de Lima
Gerente de Infraestrutura TI | Segurança de Redes e Computadores | Analista
TI Sênior | Pesquisa e Inovação
https://br.linkedin.com/in/hjlima
David Jones
2017-01-27 14:16:10 UTC
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2017 7:30 AM
Subject: [rancid] Rancid use

I would like to know if I can use rancid to backup a linux
server, apache server among others for example, or if it
does not apply to those cases, or just for specific devices?
No. There are many options for backing up a Linux server.
BackupPC is a very simple and easy backup server that
supports rsync and CIFS shares for clients. Dedupication
support, no special agent required, and very easy restore
process.
heasley
2017-01-27 15:37:04 UTC
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2017 7:30 AM

I would like to know if I can use rancid to backup a linux
server, apache server among others for example, or if it
does not apply to those cases, or just for specific devices?
No. There are many options for backing up a Linux server.
BackupPC is a very simple and easy backup server that
supports rsync and CIFS shares for clients. Dedupication
support, no special agent required, and very easy restore
process.
indeed. doesnt linux, like bsd, come with daily/weekly/monthly scripts
that provide diffs of /etc/group, etc and make local backups of those
important files? or perhaps adapt one from bsd.

also see bacula. and linux now has zfs, no more putrid fsys's for you;
zfs has some very handy backup tools - highly recommended, if not just
for the non-putridness.
Lamin Darboe

Alan McKinnon
2017-01-30 20:04:56 UTC
Post by Lamin Darboe
Can you make the software and license available so that we can have it installed?
It's already available in many places, you only have to download it.
Google knows where all the download sites are.

Alan
--
Alan McKinnon
***@gmail.com
Harlei Lima
2017-01-31 01:48:40 UTC
Yes, of course.
I got this site:
http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/#started

Can you make the software and license available so that we can have it installed?
Behalf Of *Harlei Lima