[rancid] subversion issues
Kelly Shutt
2008-05-22 16:13:16 UTC
I just downloaded the latest 2.3.2a8 release and ran into the "Out of
date" issue with subversion. I had to apply the patch from Vince Hoang
manually to fix the problem, see
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2006-August/001679.html.
Is there a specific reason why this patch hasn't been integrated into
the base source yet? Subversion does not work correctly without this
patch. I spent hours trying to get it working and this patch fixed the
problem instantly.

Also, I was just trying to go to the website and I'm getting "File Not
Found" errors on http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/.

Peace,
Kelly Shutt
Alentus Corporation
Jethro R Binks
2008-05-22 16:35:14 UTC
Post by Kelly Shutt
Is there a specific reason why this patch hasn't been integrated into
the base source yet?
There have been numerous patches floating around for a while for rancid,
including some contributions from myself, but unfortunately John Heasley
has been somehwat quiet of late. He was working through the patches from
the list and received privately for a while. John, are you out there
still? Are there other developers with source access available who can
afford to spend some time pushing further releases?

I think rancid is a great tool, especially if you live in a Cisco world,
but outwith that there is still some considerable work to be done. I am
keen that rancid doesn't die through lack of maintenance, or requires
patches to be pulled from numerous sources to gain useful functionality.

Can anyone offer any insight into Rancid's future?

Jethro.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Hank Kilmer
2008-05-22 16:57:03 UTC
Yes, there are more developers than just John. One of the problems we
have with many of the patches is that people send them in with GNU or
other copyright bits attached making incorporation impossible. Rancid
development is still going on and some fairly large upgrades are
currently being discussed.

-Hank
john heasley
2008-05-22 19:54:45 UTC
It is also difficult to commit things which I can not test, or have been
done half-assed, or not commented, or fix one device but are unclear if
they affect another, and folks who do not reply when asked about their
patch or to test a small variant, etc.
Jethro R Binks
2008-05-22 17:47:37 UTC
Post by Hank Kilmer
Yes, there are more developers than just John. One of the problems we
have with many of the patches is that people send them in with GNU or
other copyright bits attached making incorporation impossible. Rancid
development is still going on and some fairly large upgrades are
currently being discussed.
Hello Hank,

Thanks for the reply. I think it would be useful if there was some more
public information on who is directly involved in rancid development, and
a roadmap on where it is going. Perhaps more public discussion from the
developers on the list would be good, and suggestions for where people can
assist.

The web pages generally could be improved, there are several files, hints,
and utilities tucked away in the distribution that just don't get a
mention on the web page.

Regarding the licence, I realise that can be an issue: but in that case
should be an explicit statement somewhere regarding what licences may or
may not be acceptable for the developers. Even where patches are offered
with a licence that you cannot accept, it may be useful for them to be
listed so people can choose to apply them, usual caveats apply.

In summary, I'd just like to see more signs of activity and information!

Jethro.
Post by Hank Kilmer
-Hank

john heasley
2008-05-22 19:39:42 UTC
Post by Kelly Shutt
I just downloaded the latest 2.3.2a8 release and ran into the "Out of
date" issue with subversion. I had to apply the patch from Vince Hoang
manually to fix the problem, see
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2006-August/001679.html.
Is there a specific reason why this patch hasn't been integrated into
the base source yet? Subversion does not work correctly without this
patch. I spent hours trying to get it working and this patch fixed the
problem instantly.
Because it is wrong, IMO. 1) the repository should never be out of date,
unless there was a crash or some external party altered it, and the latter
case is an problem (no external parties should alter rancid's repository),
and 2) /localhost/ is bogus (though both syntax are acceptable per 1738),
the problem there was a typo, a missing '/'.
Post by Kelly Shutt
Also, I was just trying to go to the website and I'm getting "File Not
Found" errors on http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/.
I see a few missing mailman logos and some rancid manpage links to system
pages that are not there (from man2html), but otherwise see no missing
pages.