[rancid] Random white space when fetching configuration from MRV devices / why not switching off paging?
Christian Rohmann
2016-04-20 09:19:34 UTC
Hey rancid-discuss,

I am using RANCID 3.4.1 to fetch configuration off of MRV devices of models:

OptiSwitch 904
OptiSwitch 906G
OptiSwitch 912C
OptiSwitch 940

I am seeing random noise with white space / indentation in front of
configuration lines:

diff:
------------------------
- contact "removed"
- location removed
+ contact "removed"
+ location removed

This is happening all over the config, not just at

1) I am wondering why a command

send -h "terminal length 0\r"

is send in mrvlogin even though (at least my devices) don't unserstand it.

2) I tried to "optimize" / fix this by changing it to

send -h "no cli-paging \r"

but then the prompt or the end of the command is not recognized anymore
:-( So more work is necessary. But since "no cli-paging" was tried
before the intention to not use any paging was there.

Has any1 here played with MRV devices and would like to join in trying
to properly fix this?

Regards

Christian
Christian Rohmann
2016-04-26 09:20:38 UTC
Post by Christian Rohmann
OptiSwitch 904
OptiSwitch 906G
OptiSwitch 912C
OptiSwitch 940
I simply had a typo in my change to disable the paging and it seems to
work just fine now, no more noise with indentation and quicker fetching
of configuration.

I put my changes regarding MRV devices into the two attached patches
against RANCID 3.4.1 which folks with MRV devices here might want to
test with their equipment:

1) patch_mrvlogin_disable_paging_3_4_1.patch

This actually disables the paging with MRV Optiswitch devices and also
fixes the indentation issues that sometimes causes some lines have some
white space in front of them.

2) patch_mrv_noise_3_4_1.patch

This filters a few more noisy lines from the "show version" like the
ever changing fan status or currently logged in users.

Regards

Christian