[rancid] More information in the subject of the config diff mail
Stephan Seitz
2013-12-04 18:01:21 UTC
Hi!

I’m trying the rancid software and I find it very nice, but the mail with
the config diffs has only the subject „networking router config diffs”.

This means I can’t see which hosts have changed without reading the mail.
And if one host has only a small change I may overlook it.

Is it possible to put the hostnames in the subject as well? Or would this
be a very big code change?

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
--
| Stephan Seitz E-Mail: ***@fsing.rootsland.net |
| Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |
Alan McKinnon
2013-12-04 19:56:37 UTC
Hi!
I’m trying the rancid software and I find it very nice, but the mail
with the config diffs has only the subject „networking router config
diffs”.
This means I can’t see which hosts have changed without reading the
mail. And if one host has only a small change I may overlook it.
Is it possible to put the hostnames in the subject as well? Or would
this be a very big code change?
Shade and sweet water!
Stephan
diff mails are per-group and not per-device and the group is mentioned
in the mail title.

Groups can be arbitrarily large - I have some groups with over 800
entries with about half of them edge routers with customer circuits. All
of those change about once a day at least.

I can't deal with 400 diff mails after every run or 400 hostnames in the
subject so both of those approaches are futile. rancid's current setup
is probably the best middle ground there is and mail can only do so
much. If you need more information, try something like Splunk
--
Alan McKinnon
***@gmail.com
Stephan Seitz
2013-12-04 21:11:49 UTC
Post by Alan McKinnon
Post by Stephan Seitz
Is it possible to put the hostnames in the subject as well? Or would
this be a very big code change?
diff mails are per-group and not per-device and the group is mentioned
in the mail title.
Yes, I know. The problem is: if I make the change I don’t really need the
mail. But if I didn’t make the change, a single line change in the
configuration of one host may get lost if there are bigger changes in
other hosts as well.
So at least I would be glad if I can see the hostnames in the subject
line.
Post by Alan McKinnon
I can't deal with 400 diff mails after every run or 400 hostnames in the
subject so both of those approaches are futile. rancid's current setup
You’re right and I don’t say that this change would help everyone.
A configuration option would be nice, so everyone can choose.

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan
John Heasley
2013-12-05 01:28:24 UTC
Post by Alan McKinnon
Post by Stephan Seitz
Is it possible to put the hostnames in the subject as well? Or would
this be a very big code change?
diff mails are per-group and not per-device and the group is mentioned
in the mail title.
Yes, I know. The problem is: if I make the change I don’t really need the mail. But if I didn’t make the change, a single line change in the configuration of one host may get lost if there are bigger changes in other hosts as well.
So at least I would be glad if I can see the hostnames in the subject line.
Per-device mail could be added but seems ugly. You could devnull the normal diffs and do daily diffs via cron, so you only receive one email, or one per group, etc.