[rancid] Copying configs to a fileserver
G***@l-3com.com
2010-08-10 15:23:28 UTC

Does anyone know of a way or have a linux script that has the ability to
copy device configs to a fileserver? We want to do this so that we can
have a safe tape backup of them in case of catastrophic failure. We
currently do not back up the rancid server as we don't have a license to
do so.

George Nussbaum | Sr. Systems Administrator | L-3 Communications SDS
10E Commerce Way, Woburn, MA 01801
O: 781.939.3866 | M: 781.985.5081 | F: 781.939.3996 | Email:
***@L-3com.com <mailto:***@L-3com.com> |
www.sds.l-3com.com <http://www.sds.l-3com.com/>
John Jetmore
2010-08-10 15:38:02 UTC
Post by G***@l-3com.com
Hi,
Does anyone know of a way or have a linux script that has the ability to
copy device configs to a fileserver?  We want to do this so that we can have
a safe tape backup of them in case of catastrophic failure.  We currently do
not back up the rancid server as we don’t have a license to do so.
linux is pretty easy:

rsync -av $RANCIDHOME/var $BACKUPUSER@$BACKUPHOST:$REMOTEBACKUPDIR

eg:

rsync -av /home/rancid/rancid/var ***@fileserver:/backups/rancid

If you have a windows server, you could mount it via samba and then
use rysnc to the mounted filesystem, eg:

rsync -av /home/rancid/rancid/var /mnt/backups/rancid

--John
G***@l-3com.com
2010-08-10 19:38:13 UTC
Thanks for all of the tips. I actually set up samba on my rancid box and connect via a separate win server and copy the files up in a batch file I put in scheduled tasks.

Thanks again.

2010-08-10 15:39:30 UTC
you can use a NFS mounted drive or use AMANDA which is free. Another option if your fileserver is running windows is to create a samba share drive from the device configs directory, mount that directory on the windows fileserver and use windows scheduled tasks to copy them to a different location.

Chris Gallardo
***@iupui.edu<mailto:***@iupui.edu>

Hi,

Sam Munzani
2010-08-10 15:42:13 UTC
I usually use rsync. On windows server I have Delta Copy installed which
acts as server. On rancid box, I have some korn shell scripts that has
syntax like below.

rsync -vrtlz --delete "/opt/rancid/var/configs"
"172.20.100.10::rancid/" <= Where 172.20.100.10 is my windows srv and
rancid is rsync server mount point.

Then run that script from cron.

Hope this helps,
Sam