[rancid] RANCID, CRS and SDR
Jens Link
2011-12-01 08:28:28 UTC

I'm having some problems with RANCID when querying CRS SDRs (Secure
Domain Router). RANCID is running once an hour and every time RANCID
finds some differences in the hardware configuration.

Here is an example:

This moring a 7 o'clock:
- !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet0", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
- !VID: N/A
- !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet1", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"

And at 8 o'clock
+ !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet0", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
+ !VID: N/A
+ !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet1", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"

This is not on related to sensors, I've also seen fan trays, interface
cards, ... appearing and disappearing. Any ideas? Querying the actual
(hardware) CRS works fine.

Regards

Jens
| Foelderichstr. 40 | 13595 Berlin, Germany | +49-151-18721264 |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: ***@guug.de | ------------------- |
Tyler J. Wagner
2011-12-01 09:01:13 UTC
Jens,

I have the same problem with one of my Cisco Catalyst 6509, when querying
via telnet. It removes and adds hardware seemingly at whim. However, the
same behaviour is visible when testing with clogin myself - it seems to be
the real output.

I'd prefer to fix it, or have RANCID ignore it. Right now, I have neither
solution.

Tyler
Hi,
--
"Complaining about ionizing radiation on your way to a plane flight is
like complaining about a TSA pat-down on your way to Caligula's palace."
-- Soren Ragsdale
Michael Schwartzkopff
2011-12-01 14:06:42 UTC
Post by Tyler J. Wagner
Jens,
I have the same problem with one of my Cisco Catalyst 6509, when querying
via telnet. It removes and adds hardware seemingly at whim. However, the
same behaviour is visible when testing with clogin myself - it seems to be
the real output.
I'd prefer to fix it, or have RANCID ignore it. Right now, I have neither
solution.
Tyler
Post by Jens Link
Hi,
I'm having some problems with RANCID when querying CRS SDRs (Secure
Domain Router). RANCID is running once an hour and every time RANCID
finds some differences in the hardware configuration.
- !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet0", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
- !VID: N/A
- !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet1", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
And at 8 o'clock
+ !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet0", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
+ !VID: N/A
+ !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet1", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
This is not on related to sensors, I've also seen fan trays, interface
cards, ... appearing and disappearing. Any ideas? Querying the actual
(hardware) CRS works fine.
Regards
Jens
Hi,

possible this behavior is related to the fact, that the output is formatted
different every run. Especially we found no way to tell the devices not to add
line breaks at will.

And yes, we tried "term length 0" already.

Greetings,
--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63

Tel: (0163) 172 50 98
Fax: (089) 620 304 13
john heasley
2011-12-01 16:29:45 UTC
Post by Tyler J. Wagner
Jens,
I have the same problem with one of my Cisco Catalyst 6509, when querying
via telnet. It removes and adds hardware seemingly at whim. However, the
same behaviour is visible when testing with clogin myself - it seems to be
the real output.
I'd prefer to fix it, or have RANCID ignore it. Right now, I have neither
solution.
it is most likely a problem with the IOS/IOX or the hardware. we've seen
both, though not yet on IOX; requiring reseating the LC or a s/w fix.

Its not likely a problem with rancid. as you've mentioned, you see it with
clogin too.
Daniel Schmidt
2011-12-01 16:48:31 UTC
You may consider editing your local rancid to ignore things like these
that continually change; it's not difficult to do.

I have the same problem with one of my Cisco Catalyst 6509, when
querying via telnet. It removes and adds hardware seemingly at whim.
However, the same behaviour is visible when testing with clogin myself
- it seems to be the real output.
I'd prefer to fix it, or have RANCID ignore it. Right now, I have
neither solution.
it is most likely a problem with the IOS/IOX or the hardware. we've seen
both, though not yet on IOX; requiring reseating the LC or a s/w fix.

Its not likely a problem with rancid. as you've mentioned, you see it
with clogin too.
of public business,is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act, and may be disclosed to third parties.
Tyler J. Wagner
2011-12-01 17:16:17 UTC
Post by Daniel Schmidt
You may consider editing your local rancid to ignore things like these
that continually change; it's not difficult to do.
I have very seriously considered that. However, I don't know how to edit it
to ignore "show inventory raw" for just this host. Other suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Tyler
--
"Offending fundamentalists isn't my goal – but if it is an inevitable
side-effect of defending human rights, so be it."
-- Johann Hari
john heasley
2011-12-01 17:52:54 UTC
Post by Tyler J. Wagner
Post by Daniel Schmidt
You may consider editing your local rancid to ignore things like these
that continually change; it's not difficult to do.
I have very seriously considered that. However, I don't know how to edit it
to ignore "show inventory raw" for just this host. Other suggestions welcome.
ignoring it for all is easy; for one, less so. you'd have to match the
prompt to exclude the output.

please please please bitch at your vendor about the problem for the benefit
of all.
Per Carlson
2011-12-04 01:21:29 UTC
Hi Jens.
Post by Jens Link
I'm having some problems with RANCID when querying CRS SDRs (Secure
Domain Router). RANCID is running once an hour and every time RANCID
finds some differences in the hardware configuration.
- !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet0", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
- !VID: N/A
- !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet1", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
And at 8 o'clock
+ !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet0", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
+ !VID: N/A
+ !NAME: "0/0/* - host - Inlet1", DESCR: "Temperature Sensor"
This is not on related to sensors, I've also seen fan trays, interface
cards, ... appearing and disappearing. Any ideas? Querying the actual
(hardware) CRS works fine.
I've seen spurios "non-printables" mess up the diff on both IOS and
IOS-XR devices. Can't recall from memory if that occurred in "show
inventory" on XR.

Any way, I do have a substantial code change for xrrancid hanging
around at GitHub[0]. *One* of the differences with the stock 2.3.6
code are filtering of "non-printables". If you would like some more
info of the changes, checkout the command table at the end of
bin/xrrancid.in[1]. You are welcome to give it a try if you like. If
you have any suggestions for improvements or other changes, I'm
listening.

[0] https://github.com/hemmop/rancid/tree/xrrancid
[1] https://github.com/hemmop/rancid/blob/xrrancid/bin/xrrancid.in#L836
--
Pelle

RFC1925, truth 11:
 Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and
 a different presentation, regardless of whether it works.
Jens Link
2011-12-07 13:33:48 UTC
Per Carlson <***@hemmop.com> writes:

Hi,
Post by Per Carlson
Any way, I do have a substantial code change for xrrancid hanging
around at GitHub[0].
[1] https://github.com/hemmop/rancid/blob/xrrancid/bin/xrrancid.in#L836
Still the same. One hour the hardware is reported missing, an hour later
it there again. :-(

I'll keep looking.