[rancid] Help for nlogin and Netscreen
Craig Ayliffe
2014-06-06 00:52:45 UTC

Apologies the link that failed was meant to be:

It is found on this page: http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/#help

Yes agreed it is a broken implementation of the CLI.
I will take a look at the -s option.

Thanks,

Craig
Hi,
Firstly I tried to subscribe to the mailing list at
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/ - but get a 404 error
going to that page.
that url looks fine to me. in the logs, i see some failures with bad urls,
which might have been you. if you can verify what url doesnt work and
where
you found the url or the referring page, i'll look.
nlogin -t 90 -f vfw.cloginrc -c "exec nsrp sync global-config
check-sum"
hostname
It runs the command successfully but then hangs waiting to finish.
The output of the command (configuration in sync) is printed out after
the
prompt is displayed which seems to get nlogin out of sync - still looking
for the prompt which it doesn't see again.
Attached is the debug of the commands being run.
Below is it running without debug.
-c
"exec nsrp sync global-config check-sum" bne-vfw-1b
bne-vfw-1b
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l craiga bne-vfw-1b
Remote Management Console
BNE-VFW-1b(B)->
BNE-VFW-1b(B)-> set console page 0
BNE-VFW-1b(B)-> exec nsrp sync global-config check-sum
*BNE-VFW-1b(B)-> configuration in sync*
As far as I can see this is due to Netscreen running this command in the
background and it returns the display later on after the new prompt is
already there.
This doesn't happen when I run the 'get' commands in Netscreen.
Any ideas on how to fix this would be awesome thanks
eh, you could do that with a script via nlogin -s. but, once it receives a
new prompt, the login scripts assume the command is done. to that do a cmd
in the background is a completely broken cli way to do it, imo, and i'd
complain to the vendor.
see the share dir of the dist for -s examples.
--
Craig Ayliffe