[rancid] Rancid Ignore Devices
Moorehead, Bryan D [EQ]
2008-05-29 17:31:57 UTC
Is it possible to instruct RANCID to ignore certain devices? We have wildcards in our .cloginrc device definitions, and I have a list of devices that for various reasons need to not be queried.

Thanks,
Bryan
Arnold Nipper
2008-05-29 18:07:43 UTC
Post by Moorehead, Bryan D [EQ]
Is it possible to instruct RANCID to ignore certain devices? We have
wildcards in our .cloginrc device definitions, and I have a list of
devices that for various reasons need to not be queried.
.cloginrc tells clogin *how* to log into a device.

*Which* device to walk through your devices is stored in
~rancid/*/router.db.

Either omit them the devices which should be ignored or set their status
to "down".

Arnold
Arnold Nipper, AN45
Andrew Brennan
2008-05-29 18:17:20 UTC
Simply leave them out of your router.db file?
Bryan
Moorehead, Bryan D [EQ]
2008-05-29 18:30:00 UTC
Got it. I'm very new to RANCID ( if that is not already obvious ) and am trying to get a feel for it.
Sam Munzani
2008-05-29 20:23:01 UTC
Not always the case. Some times you want them in router.db but flag them
to down state because you know the device is going through maintenance
and will not be reachable for some time.

I usually do following
# router.db content
device-x:cisco:up
device-y:cisco:down # this will be excluded from backup.

Hope this helps,
Sam
Gregory W Zill
2008-05-29 20:30:05 UTC
And since we distribute e-mails to the RANCID network engineering group,
we add a fourth field, as in

1234-asa:cisco:up
1234-pix:cisco:down:fw upgrade to 1234-asa on 20080524
1234-juniper:netscreen:down:new fw implementation on 20080615

The router.db change will be broadcast to the group once.
Post by Sam Munzani
Some times you want them in router.db but flag them
to down state because you know the device is going through maintenance
and will not be reachable for some time.
I usually do following
# router.db content
device-x:cisco:up
device-y:cisco:down # this will be excluded from backup.
--
gregory w zill, mba, cissp
Information Security Engineer