[rancid] Repeated change in output
Chris Cameron
2008-12-04 22:00:59 UTC
I have Rancid watching, among other things, a bunch of Cisco 2960G's.
Every time Rancid runs, it logs a change in my VLAN list, which is
evidently because of line breaks. For example:

!VLAN: 1 default active Gi0/33, Gi0/37, Gi0/38, Gi0/45
!VLAN: Gi0/46
vs.
!VLAN: 1 default active Gi0/33, Gi0/37, Gi0/38, Gi0/45, Gi0/46

And this alternates every time it runs. During this time, no one is
logged into these switches.

Does anyone know what's causing this?

Thanks,
Chris
Eric Cables

alex
2008-12-05 08:07:56 UTC
Post by Chris Cameron
!VLAN: 1 default active Gi0/33, Gi0/37, Gi0/38, Gi0/45
!VLAN: Gi0/46
vs.
!VLAN: 1 default active Gi0/33, Gi0/37, Gi0/38, Gi0/45, Gi0/46
And this alternates every time it runs. During this time, no one is
logged into these switches.
I see similar thing on routers with DNS servers alternating, and on ASAs with
the indentation of the inspection config changing. I think this could be
considered to be a minor bug on Cisco's part. On the other hand, if whatever
part of RANCID does the diff between one config revision and the next had
some awareness of what is being diffed, then this could be avoided. This
would basically involve implementing a Cisco config parser that can
understand every config directive, so don't hold your breath :-)

alexd
Kemp, Larry
2008-12-05 22:44:03 UTC
Hey guys...

We have Rancid running great hourly diff-ing and backing up our configs for all our Cisco gear on our entire network. We are really happy with it and happy being part of this group, the Rancid community here has made all the difference to us. So thanks to all of you!

We are now trying to get Rancid to work with my Adtran IAD 900's. The internal operating system essentially functions just like a Cisco router. Mr. Ted Cabeen wrote a great script for use on the Adtran IAD 900's too...located here: http://osdir.com/ml/network.rancid/2006-08/msg00025.html.

We think rancid-run is executing the lines from the router.db and .cloginrc files because in the /usr/local/rancid/var/networking/configs directory we see a file with the IP-address of my IAD appear and we get the email telling us it was added. However when we look at the file in /usr/local/rancid/var/networking/configs (named after that devices IP-address) that file is empty. The IP is NOT showing up in the routers.down or the routers.failed files.

I took Ted Cabeen's script and named it /usr/local/rancid/bin/adrancid, I placed this file "adrancid" in this directory with all the other executables (see this file attached).

In the /usr/local/rancid/var/networking/router.db file I have this device listed as:

101.100.110.11:adrancid:up

In the /usr/local/rancid/.cloginrc file I have the following commands listed for this device:

# Device at IP address 10.100.110.11

add password 10.100.110.11 the-rancid-account's-password our-device's-enable-password

add user 10.100.110.11 rancid

add userprompt 10.100.11.11

add method 10.100.11.11 {telnet}

I am using:

- Cent OS version 5.2

- Rancid version 2.3..2a2

- Perl version 5.8.8

- Expect version 5.43.0-5.1.i386

- VI Improved version 7.0.237

I have not been able to find any info on correcting this problem online (where maybe somebody else has run into this too). I am thinking that maybe I need to change something simple in the router.db, .cloginrc or rancid.conf files. If anyone has successfully gotten these Adtran IAD 900's to work with Rancid, we sure could use some minor guidance on what config you are using or how you solved this if you ran into it too.

Thank you!

Respectfully,

Larry Kemp

Bonita Springs FL USA
Mike Ashcraft
2008-12-05 23:40:03 UTC
Larry,

Check your logs for "unknown router manufacturer"

You did not indicate that you had added an entry for router type
adrancid in /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-fe

something like:

elsif ($vendor =~ /^adrancid$/i) { exec('adrancid', $router); }

Mike
Peter Serwe
2008-12-06 01:22:05 UTC
Oh wow.. I never even knew someone had written an adtran specific rancid script.

I have been looking for this for months, using the standard cisco device type.

John - what are the chances we can get this stuff included in the next alpha?

I have failed every time I tried to integrate one.

Also, I use these Adtran devices extensively, and I have two in a lab
environment I could
provide access to for script development. One is a Netvanta 6355 and
the other is a Total Access 908e.

Both use AOS and should be completely interoperable for Rancid. The
lab is booked at the moment doing
interop testing with a class 5 telco switch, but should free up
relatively shortly.

Peter
Post by Kemp, Larry
[...]