[rancid] beware tcl-8.4.15_2,1
David Paul Zimmerman
2007-08-17 21:26:29 UTC
In a fit of maintenance, I took one of my RANCID systems from:

FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3
rancid-2.3.1_1 port
expect-5.43.0_1 port
tcl-8.4.13_1,1 port

FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p6
rancid-2.3.1_2 port
expect-5.43.0_3 (-D WITHOUT_X11) port
tcl-8.4.15_2,1 port

and immediately went from a perfectly happy RANCID installation to
one that can't get through a group of 500 or so devices without
getting hung randomly. I tried taking out WITHOUT_X11, I tried all
sorts of port deinstalls, reinstalls, you name it. I tried the
expect patch. Nothing worked. Finally I manually tweaked my ports
tree to install the tcl-8.4.13_1,1 port instead, and my problems
vanished (so far... 24 hours and counting).

Mind the gap....

dp
David Paul Zimmerman
2007-08-17 21:30:11 UTC
Finally I manually tweaked my ports tree to install the
tcl-8.4.13_1,1 port instead, and my problems
vanished (so far... 24 hours and counting).
Sorry, I meant tcl-8.4.14_4,1. I had to make _some_ progress.

dp
john heasley
2007-08-17 23:56:55 UTC
Post by David Paul Zimmerman
Finally I manually tweaked my ports tree to install the
tcl-8.4.13_1,1 port instead, and my problems
vanished (so far... 24 hours and counting).
Sorry, I meant tcl-8.4.14_4,1. I had to make _some_ progress.
My advice is that if the tcl and expect you are using works, don't change
it. [1] You'll have more leisure time if you follow this rule. :)

[1] except for Linux and Solaris where you should apply the patch ("hack")
we've supplied.