[rancid] clogin error
Grace Ingabire
2008-11-12 08:53:19 UTC
Hello,

I installed and configured rancid properly but when trying to test it with
/usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin xx.xx.xx.xx, I'm getting this error

Error: /root/.cloginrc must not be world readable/writable.

Should not we edit this file?

Need your advice on the .clogin file and where should we add manually all
devices.

Thanks.

Regards,

Grace
Steve Ousley
2008-11-12 09:57:04 UTC
Hi Grace

All you need to do is make the file not writable by anyone except the user
that rancid runs as. You can do this by running the command:

chmod 600 .cloginrc

in the home directory of the user that rancid runs as.

Steve Ousley - SO620-RIPE

Nuco Technologies Ltd

<mailto:***@host-it.co.uk> ***@host-it.co.uk

<http://www.nucotechnologies.com/> www.nucotechnologies.com

Tel. 0870 165 1300

Nuco Technologies Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
with company number 04470751

Grace
john heasley
2008-11-12 09:58:57 UTC
Post by Grace Ingabire
Hello,
I installed and configured rancid properly but when trying to test it with
/usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin xx.xx.xx.xx, I'm getting this error
Error: /root/.cloginrc must not be world readable/writable.
Should not we edit this file?
It refers to the permissions on the file; see chmod(2) or chmod 0600
~/.cloginrc. you should create separate user to run rancid.
Grace Ingabire
2008-11-12 10:17:11 UTC
Hi Steve,

I have done it as advised. In my /root/.clogin I have this syntax for all
our devices:

add user xxx peter

add password xxx password enable password

add method xxx {telnet}

Where are we supposed to add devices (routers) manually?

I have tried to test as rancid user and got this:

/usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin xxx

spawn telnet xxx

Trying xxx...

Connected to xxx (xxx).

Escape character is '^]'.

Cisco Systems Console

Enter password:

Enter password:

Enter password:

Connection closed by foreign host.

spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid xxx

Error: Connection closed (ssh): xxx

What is the root cause of this?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Regards,

Grace

_____

Grace
Lance Vermilion
2008-11-12 17:16:46 UTC
I would suggest following some of results from here.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rancid+howto