[rancid] CSS backup "end of run not found"
Sam Munzani
2009-01-05 21:51:54 UTC
Team,

I am using cssrancid of following version.

## $Id: cssrancid.in,v 1.4 2004/01/11 03:49:13 heas Exp $

I can successfully login to the css with clogin command and run both of
the commands that fail when rancid-run executes.

Getting missed routers: round 1.
mycss01: found unexpected command - "term length 65000"
mycss01: found unexpected command - "copy profile user-profile"
mycss01: End of run not found

The cssrancid has term length settings of 65535 but I changed it to
65000 just to see if the number makes a difference but no luck. Any
pointers?

Below is debug output. BTW, I set my TERM variable manually to ensure
that's not the issue here.
$echo $TERM
vt100

$cssrancid -d mycss01
executing clogin -t 90 -c"term length 65000;copy profile
user-profile;show version;show boot;show run" mycss01
HIT COMMAND:mycss01# term length 65000
HIT COMMAND:mycss01# term length 65000
mycss01: found unexpected command - "term length 65000"
HIT COMMAND:mycss01# copy profile user-profile
HIT COMMAND:mycss01# copy profile user-profile
mycss01: found unexpected command - "copy profile user-profile"
HIT COMMAND:mycss01# show version
In ShowVersion: mycss01# show version
HIT COMMAND:mycss01# show boot
In ShowBoot: mycss01# show boot
HIT COMMAND:mycss01# show run
In ShowRun: mycss01# show run
mycss01: End of run not found
mycss01: End of run not found

Thanks,
sam
john heasley
2009-01-06 00:08:19 UTC
Post by Sam Munzani
Team,
I am using cssrancid of following version.
## $Id: cssrancid.in,v 1.4 2004/01/11 03:49:13 heas Exp $
1.4 is ancient. please try a more recent version first.
2009-01-06 11:58:39 UTC
When there are unsaved config changes on the CSS it asks "do you want to
save the config" or something like that, and Rancid doesn't catch that.
Therefore: try logging in manually and see what the CSS does on logout.
Best, Georg

***@shrubbery.net
Gesendet von: rancid-discuss-***@shrubbery.net
06.01.2009 01:08

An
***@comcast.net
Kopie
rancid-***@shrubbery.net
Thema
[rancid] Re: CSS backup "end of run not found"
Post by Sam Munzani
[...]

Raiffeisen Informatik GmbH, Firmenbuchnr. 88239p, Handelsgericht Wien, DVR 0486809, UID ATU 16351908

Der Austausch von Nachrichten mit oben angefuehrtem Absender via E-Mail dient ausschliesslich Informationszwecken. Rechtsgeschaeftliche Erklaerungen duerfen ueber dieses Medium nicht ausgetauscht werden.
Correspondence with above mentioned sender via e-mail is only for information purposes. This medium may not be used for exchange of legally-binding communications.
john heasley
2009-01-06 18:55:16 UTC
Post by g***@r-it.at
When there are unsaved config changes on the CSS it asks "do you want to
save the config" or something like that, and Rancid doesn't catch that.
Therefore: try logging in manually and see what the CSS does on logout.
Best, Georg
it looks for "(Profile|Configuration) changes have occurred.*" at logout.
if cisco has made another gratuitous change, what is the new prompt?
Post by g***@r-it.at
06.01.2009 01:08
An
Kopie
john heasley
2009-01-07 22:39:03 UTC
Post by g***@r-it.at
You are right, Rancid should catch this. The prompt of our last remaining
"Configuration changes have occurred. Save changes before exiting,
[y/n/q]:"
Tried it out now with "exp_internal" debugging,
expect: does "Configuration changes have occurred. Save changes before
exiting, [y/n/q]:" (spawn_id exp4) match regular expression
"^[^\n\r *]*EPP-CSS-01([^#>\r\n]+)?[#>](\([^)\r\n]+\))?"? no
"Do you wish to save your configuration changes"? no
"[\n\r]+"? no
expect: timed out
why doesn't the "(Profile|Configuration) changes have occurred.*" match
appear in that output? do you have two versions of clogin?
g***@r-it.at
2009-01-07 13:20:22 UTC
You are right, Rancid should catch this. The prompt of our last remaining
CSS on logout with unsaved changes is exactly:
"Configuration changes have occurred. Save changes before exiting,
[y/n/q]:"

Tried it out now with "exp_internal" debugging,

expect: does "Configuration changes have occurred. Save changes before
exiting, [y/n/q]:" (spawn_id exp4) match regular expression
"^[^\n\r *]*EPP-CSS-01([^#>\r\n]+)?[#>](\([^)\r\n]+\))?"? no
"Do you wish to save your configuration changes"? no
"[\n\r]+"? no
expect: timed out

Clogin still expects the prompt, so something seems amiss here.

But probably not worth much worry, since CSSs are somewhat legacy
equipemnt, aren't they?

Since I happen to write to the Rancid creator: BIG thank you, we use
Rancid big time, thousands of devices, best thing in configuration
management ever.

Georg

***@shrubbery.net@inet
06.01.2009 19:55

An
***@r-it.at
Kopie
***@comcast.net, rancid-***@shrubbery.net
Thema
Re: [rancid] Re: CSS backup "end of run not found"

g***@r-it.at
2009-01-08 08:54:31 UTC
not there in rancid-2.3.2a3 neither in rancid-2.3.1, in rancid-2.3.2a7 it
is.

Georg

***@shrubbery.net@inet
07.01.2009 23:39