[rancid] So close yet....
Charles Gagnon
2014-04-11 20:01:47 UTC
So I just tried deploying rancid on a RHEL 6.2 box. I have:

rancid 3.0
perl v5.10.1
expect version 5.44.1.15

It seems close to working but whenever I run 'rancid-run', routers end-up
in the routers.down file. I am testing right now with a single entry in my
router.db.

I tested w/ clogin myrouter (which works)
I can also do rancid -t cisco myroute (and it also saves a file)

If I run "rancid myrouter" it failed with:
$ rancid myrouter
loadtype(): device_type is empty
Couldn't load device type spec for

But this may be normal.

rancid-run returns no errors. Returns in a few seconds with no output. What
is the best way to troubleshoot this?

I check my .db file and it is NOT DOS format. How can I tell if I have a
problem with my file.

Any good way to troubleshoot this?
--
Charles Gagnon
charlesg at unixrealm.com
Lee
2014-04-12 15:55:32 UTC
Thanks to all for the help. I'm new to Rancid and I missed the change from
":" to ";" so I was still using a pre-3.0 DB format.
I had the same problem when trying out the 3.0alpha. This should be
the very first item in the CHANGES file for 3.0:

router.db,rancid.types.*: change field separator to ';' (semi-colon) to
allow for IPv6 addresses in router.db and avoid conflict with :s in
device commands and perl module names

Lee
Lee
2014-04-12 14:16:43 UTC
Post by Charles Gagnon
rancid-run returns no errors. Returns in a few seconds with no output. What
is the best way to troubleshoot this?
Take a look at http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/FAQ
3) General
Q. I have a (set of) device(s) on which collection fails. How can I debug this?

What I'm not seeing in the FAQ is a note that if you've been using
rancid 2.x the router.db separator character changed from : to ;
2.3.8 router.db:
cisco-router.domain.com:cisco:up

3.0 router.db:
cisco-router.domain.com;cisco;up

Regards,
charlesg at unixrealm.com
Charles Gagnon
2014-04-12 14:38:13 UTC
Thanks to all for the help. I'm new to Rancid and I missed the change from
":" to ";" so I was still using a pre-3.0 DB format.
Thanks again for the help. Looking forward to setting up more devices.
charlesg at unixrealm.com
--
Charles Gagnon
charlesg at unixrealm.com