[rancid] Config making problem
Norbert Rozs
2009-10-05 14:31:44 UTC
Hi Everyone

I have a strange problem with RANCID. Everything working fine with it, I
have about 14..16 groups
in my install and the problem is some of the groups working (login, make
commands, get output,
format the output and get cvs infos, make the config files in right place)
but some of the groups
not working (login, make commands, get output, format output but no configs
in the right dirs.).
So I tried all thing to troubleshoot: clogin works, all commands can run on
the devices, but it is
not working. Please give me some ideas what goes wrong, what could be the
problem. The logs
are empty, just a start statement and an end statement is in there.

Thank you!
--
Best regards:
-----------
Norbert Rozs
Shane Kavanagh
2009-10-05 15:41:32 UTC
Hi

have you executed rancid-cvs (/usr/lib/rancid/bin/rancid-cvs) to update the
rancid and populate the cvs app

SK
Rozs Norbert
2009-10-05 16:01:41 UTC
Yes, I executed rancid-cvs, it made the directory structure for all
entries of LIST_OF_GROUPS, rancid-run
make all the things for the cvs (the "source of the diff's") but no
configs in the group/config directory.
john heasley
2009-10-05 17:28:13 UTC
Post by Rozs Norbert
Yes, I executed rancid-cvs, it made the directory structure for all
entries of LIST_OF_GROUPS, rancid-run
make all the things for the cvs (the "source of the diff's") but no
configs in the group/config directory.
check the group's router.db file. it'l need at least 1 device that is
marked 'up'. also see router.db(5).
Rozs Norbert
2009-10-06 05:16:22 UTC
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Yes, I executed rancid-cvs, it made the directory structure for all
entries of LIST_OF_GROUPS, rancid-run
make all the things for the cvs (the "source of the diff's") but no
configs in the group/config directory.
check the group's router.db file. it'l need at least 1 device that is
marked 'up'. also see router.db(5).
The router.db for the group has 12 entries, all in the format
<name>:cisco:up
and all the names are in the /etc/hosts. (I wrote before that clogin can
login and
can execute commands.)
john heasley
2009-10-06 07:58:21 UTC
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Yes, I executed rancid-cvs, it made the directory structure for all
entries of LIST_OF_GROUPS, rancid-run
make all the things for the cvs (the "source of the diff's") but no
configs in the group/config directory.
check the group's router.db file. it'l need at least 1 device that is
marked 'up'. also see router.db(5).
The router.db for the group has 12 entries, all in the format
<name>:cisco:up
and all the names are in the /etc/hosts. (I wrote before that clogin can
login and
can execute commands.)
If rancid-cvs created stuff for the group, and there are devices in the
group, and the group is in LIST_OF_GROUPS, and cron is working, then at a
minimum the log file for the group look similar to:

Trying to get all of the configs.
All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs

ending: Sat Oct 3 15:10:59 UTC 2009

debug it. sh -x rancid-run or sh -x control_rancid groupname
Post by Rozs Norbert
Shane Kavanagh
2009-10-06 09:00:45 UTC
When you switch to your rancid uses and test with clogin <router/switch> can
you execute the commands at the cisco prompt or does the router login
successfully but you are unable to type in commands.
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
[...]
I will try the sh -x rancid-run or sh -x control_rancid groupname method to
test/debug it.
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
be the problem. The logs
are empty, just a start statement and an end statement is in
there.
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
Thank you!
Norbert Rozs
Norbert Rozs
2009-10-06 10:07:21 UTC
Post by Shane Kavanagh
When you switch to your rancid uses and test with clogin <router/switch>
can you execute the commands at the cisco prompt or does the router login
successfully but you are unable to type in commands.
Login is successful and I'm able to type commands.
Post by Shane Kavanagh
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
be the problem. The logs
are empty, just a start statement and an end statement is in
there.
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
Thank you!
Norbert Rozs
--
Best regards:
-----------
Norbert Rozs
Norbert Rozs
2009-10-06 08:27:15 UTC
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
[...]
So, the logs are similar as this:

Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
[...]
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
Thank you!
Best regards:
-----------
Norbert Rozs
john heasley
Norbert Rozs
Rozs Norbert
2009-10-06 16:20:19 UTC
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
[...]
Sorry for my english, but what is it mean "populated"?
If that mean group/routers.all and group/routers.up are created, my
answer is yes,
but the file routers.up is empty and routers.all is filled with lines
from router.db
without ':up' in the end of the entries.
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
[...]
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
Thank you!
Norbert Rozs
Jose Madrid
2009-10-06 17:52:44 UTC
That is most likely your problem. Routers.up gets filled with the devices
that are marked as up in router.db. Please paste your router.db here and
maybe we can help you find the problem. What does your routers.down say?
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
I will try the sh -x rancid-run or sh -x control_rancid groupname method
Post by john heasley
test/debug it.
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
be the problem. The logs
are empty, just a start statement and an end statement is in
there.
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
Thank you!
It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. What better place than
here? What better time than now?
Rozs Norbert
2009-10-06 18:31:55 UTC
Post by Jose Madrid
That is most likely your problem. Routers.up gets filled with the
devices that are marked as up in router.db. Please paste your
router.db here and maybe we can help you find the problem. What does
your routers.down say?
routers.down say all routers in router.db are down, so routers.down
filled up with entries from router.db without :up.
The router.db look like this:
--- cut ---
<something what is in /etc/hosts and reachable>:cisco:up
<something what is in /etc/hosts and reachable>:cisco:up
<something what is in /etc/hosts and reachable>:cisco:up
12..14 times
--- cut ---
I wrote that routers are reachable, clogin can login, commands can be
executed on the routers.
Post by Jose Madrid
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
I will try the sh -x rancid-run or sh -x control_rancid
groupname method to
Post by john heasley
test/debug it.
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
be the problem. The logs
are empty, just a start statement and an end statement
is in
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
there.
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
Thank you!
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
john heasley
2009-10-06 19:03:59 UTC
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Jose Madrid
That is most likely your problem. Routers.up gets filled with the
devices that are marked as up in router.db. Please paste your
router.db here and maybe we can help you find the problem. What does
your routers.down say?
routers.down say all routers in router.db are down, so routers.down
filled up with entries from router.db without :up.
--- cut ---
<something what is in /etc/hosts and reachable>:cisco:up
<something what is in /etc/hosts and reachable>:cisco:up
<something what is in /etc/hosts and reachable>:cisco:up
12..14 times
--- cut ---
I wrote that routers are reachable, clogin can login, commands can be
executed on the routers.
then you probably have trailing shit after "up". Insert a colon after "up".
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Jose Madrid
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
I will try the sh -x rancid-run or sh -x control_rancid
groupname method to
Post by john heasley
test/debug it.
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
be the problem. The logs
are empty, just a start statement and an end statement
is in
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
there.
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
Thank you!
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Norbert Rozs
2009-10-07 07:58:12 UTC
Thank you so much, problem seems to be solved.
My excolleague put some space chars after the "up".
(Probably a notepad->putty copy-paste problem.)
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Jose Madrid
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
I will try the sh -x rancid-run or sh -x control_rancid
groupname method to
Post by john heasley
test/debug it.
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by john heasley
Post by Rozs Norbert
Post by Shane Kavanagh
be the problem. The logs
are empty, just a start statement and an end statement
is in
Post by john heasley
Post by john heasley
there.