[rancid] clogin error
Jason Dotray
2014-01-06 21:08:52 UTC
Hello -
I've been successfully running Rancid to backup my switches for about 4
months. I updated the code on one of my cisco switches and after rebooting
it, rancid reports that it cannot connect to it. Checking the
/usr/local/rancid/var/logs file, the most recent file states:

clogin error: Error: Connection closed (ssh)

However, I can successfully ssh ***@x.x.x.x and connect to the switch
without any issues while logged in as rancid or root.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

Thank you!

Jason
Alan McKinnon
2014-01-06 22:24:15 UTC
Post by Jason Dotray
Hello -
I've been successfully running Rancid to backup my switches for about 4
months. I updated the code on one of my cisco switches and after
rebooting it, rancid reports that it cannot connect to it. Checking the
clogin error: Error: Connection closed (ssh)
without any issues while logged in as rancid or root.
Any suggestions on what else I can try?
To debug clogin issues the best approach by far is to log in as the user
rancid runs as and run

clogin <hostname>

where <hostname> is whatever you have in .cloginrc.
Login issues are immediately apparent this way and the output does not
make it into rancid's logs. All you get there is a generic message that
essentially says "something went wrong"
--
Alan McKinnon
***@gmail.com
Jason Dotray
2014-01-07 13:36:13 UTC
Thanks Alan!

I ran bin/clogin x.x.x.x and it came back with:

-bash-4.2$ bin/clogin x.x.x.x

x.x.x.x

spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l admin x.x.x.x

Connection closed by x.x.x.x

Error: Connection closed (ssh): x.x.x.x

I did some testing and ssh -x -l admin x.x.x.x works fine but it fails when
I throw in the -c and specify 3des. It appears I'm not running the proper
encryption software on the switch.

Thanks for the help and suggestion!