[rancid] Rancid and Viewvc / Authentication and Inventory View
Tayfun Sarı
2013-10-01 07:07:02 UTC
Hi All,

I install rancid and viewvc successfully.I had 2 thing to be done and need
advice.

1-Need a authentication for viewvc.Is it possible to do it by configuration
or need to installa some other tools?Whats is your advice and best
practices?

2-I need to view the inventory of my cisco switches.What should I do to
view this info on Viewvc.

Thanks in Advance
Alan McKinnon
2013-10-01 07:46:00 UTC
Post by Tayfun Sarı
Hi All,
I install rancid and viewvc successfully.I had 2 thing to be done and
need advice.
1-Need a authentication for viewvc.Is it possible to do it by
configuration or need to installa some other tools?Whats is your advice
and best practices?
2-I need to view the inventory of my cisco switches.What should I do to
view this info on Viewvc.
viewvc is a CVS viewer that runs in a web server. It takes your cvs
files and presents them in a browser. Authentication is done in viewvc
and in your http server, it has nothing to do with rancid.

A CVS viewer can only show you the files it has in the CVS repo, it
cannot extract information from them and present it in different ways.
Rancid by itself does not intelligently process inventory, it only grabs
show output and puts it in a file. You can view that file to see what
rancid recorded (as well as everything else it also recorded)

By inventory do you mean an organized list of what hardware you have
installed with eg serial and model numbers? If that's what you mean you
will need to use a proper inventory tool, rancid is not suitable for
that purpose.
--
Alan McKinnon
***@gmail.com
Heasley
2013-10-01 16:03:10 UTC
Post by Alan McKinnon
Post by Tayfun Sarı
[...]
You could also write something to post process the rancid data.
Daniel Schmidt
2013-10-01 22:11:37 UTC
Who hasn't cobbled last minute rancid parsers to double check the SN,
SNMP-location, ect out of configs for the inventory Nazis? I bet Heas
has! :-)
Post by Heasley
Post by Alan McKinnon
By inventory do you mean an organized list of what hardware you have
installed with eg serial and model numbers? If that's what you mean you
will need to use a proper inventory tool, rancid is not suitable for
that purpose.
--
Alan McKinnon
of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act and may be disclosed to third parties.
Heasley
Rikard Stemland Skjelsvik
2013-10-03 14:11:58 UTC
I would recommend Switchmap at http://sourceforge.net/projects/switchmap/

This is simple, but very effective web application. You can use it as a
kind of inventory, and very userfull is its vlan map. It also tracks
mac-addresses(sometimes also ip adresses and fqdn's) Also lets you search
on interface descriptions

--
Rikard
Thanks in Advance
Matthew MacAulay
2013-10-03 14:45:56 UTC
With regard to Authentication for ViewVC, integrating Radius with Apache2
and .htaccess files worked for me.

http://www.adminsehow.com/2010/03/how-to-authenticate-apache-2-with-radius-on-debian/

We run Radius on a couple of our Windows Server DC's to enable AD account
to use Radius. This keeps the auditors happy.

I had to change the alias settings for ViewVC from a symlink. My Apache is
not very strong and this took me awhile.. But its now working like a champ.

Regards,

Mat.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Rikard Stemland Skjelsvik <
I would recommend Switchmap at http://sourceforge.net/**
projects/switchmap/ <http://sourceforge.net/projects/switchmap/>
Tayfun Sarı