[rancid] missed cmd(s): write term
Hugo Deprez
2011-11-03 14:03:53 UTC
Dear community,

I am trying to backup an equipment, but I encounter some trouble :

The log file is reporting :

Trying to get all of the configs.
sw: missed cmd(s): write term
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
sw: missed cmd(s): write term
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 2.
sw: missed cmd(s): write term
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
sw: missed cmd(s): write term
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.
sw: missed cmd(s): write term

So I checked that rancid was able to log on with the following command :

/usr/lib/rancid/clogin -c "show clock" sw

=> It works. So no clogin issue.

The equipement is a cisco 2960.

I would like to enable debug mode for rancid-run in order to find what
is the problem.

Any tips ?

Regards

Hugo
Marito ...
2011-11-03 15:30:16 UTC
Hi Hugo,

did you get the exit once you run /usr/lib/rancid/clogin -c "show clock" sw ? (It should run show clock, and then exit)
For debug, i was looking for information, and ended using (as should be in your case) "expect -d /usr/lib/rancid/clogin -c "show clock" sw " . This should help you to check what is happening when running the commands.

Hope this help you.
Regards.

Marito ...
2011-11-03 17:33:13 UTC
Maybe trying to run write term gives you an error.
Run it, and see what happens.

Regards
Mario

Hugo Deprez
2011-11-07 11:00:14 UTC
Hello,

the command works.

In fact, I really have a weird behaviour. Hosts regurarly failed to
backup quite randomly with :
sw : missed cmd(s): write term
or
sw clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached

Now the host backup is working for the original equipments.

I do have a certain number of equipments to backup (arround 200).
Could that be the source of the issue ?

Regards,

Hugo

Daniel Roesen
2011-11-07 18:58:33 UTC
On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 12:00:14PM +0100, Hugo Deprez wrote:
> the command works.
>
> In fact, I really have a weird behaviour. Hosts regurarly failed to
> backup quite randomly with :
> sw : missed cmd(s): write term

I'm seeing the same problem with Cisco uBR10k boxes. They often need
multiple attempts until RANCID finally is OK with the "write term"
output. Using ssh here. I've once troubleshooted it down to RANCID
having difficulty recognizing the end of the config (prompt) due to
inflexible blank character recognition (or lack thereof) of the
following command prompt. I tried fixing it but it only made things less
bad, not finally fixed it. Lost time+nerve troubleshooting further.

Best regards,
Daniel

CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: ***@cluenet.de -- ***@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0
Hugo Deprez