[rancid] force10 support
john heasley
2008-11-13 23:07:33 UTC
I'm considering not supporting SFTOS, the pre-FTOS O/S for Force10. SFTOS
is EOL and AFAICT FTOS is supported on all of the hardware. The differences
are slight but annoying enough and I'm not convinced its worth the effort.
For some that means upgrading, which may not be easy for them.

Who can honestly say that they can't upgrade and really need SFTOS support?
Chris Bell
2008-11-14 01:35:01 UTC
If it matters - we have been slowly upgrading our S50V switches from
SFTOS to FTOS. We run them in stacks. Running SFTOS, I cannot run
RANCID against them with all the bugs concerning SSH. I despise TELNET,
but I guess that would be an option.

We have an E1200 at the core that has been RANCID friendly for several
years. Upgrading the closet S50V's to also be RANCID friendly is worth
any headache it may cause in my book...

I can also say (for those who are interested) that we've had few
problems running the new 7.7.1.1 code on our S50V's than we have ever
had running SFTOS.

2008-11-14 17:03:03 UTC
Unfortunately not all Force10 Switches can be upgraded to FTOS from
SFTOS I checked with Force10 support and the switches that we have
running are S50 Originals. I have included an email from Force10. I
would hate to see support go for SFTOS as we rely heavily on RANCID as
part of our network equipment toolkit. Unfortunately I don't have much
experience with programing but I do have the Force10 equipment and will
be able to test updates for the RANCID team if thats what you need.

Sean,

The switch in question over here is an S50-Classic, and I am afraid FTOS
is not supported on these switches.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Pranav