[rancid] Problem with "add method" (Linux)
Dale Shaw
2008-07-24 17:19:26 UTC

I'm running up rancid 2.3.2a7 on Knoppix Linux (kernel 2.6.19) and am
having some trouble getting 'clogin' to try multiple access methods.

I have a really simple config at the moment:

add user * {testuser}
add userpassword * {Passw0rd}
add password * {nothing} {s3cret123}
add method * {ssh} {telnet}

clogin attempts to connect to devices using SSH, then, after the
default 45 second timeout (in this case when attempting to connect to
a device without SSH enabled), gives up completely without trying
telnet. If I swap the methods around so that telnet is first (or just
comment out the "add method" line), it works because the device
accepts the connection. If I change the telnet port to something
non-standard, it tries telnet on the non-standard port but never tries
SSH.

It seems basic enough that I figure I must be doing something really dumb.

Any clues?

cheers,
Dale
john heasley
2008-07-24 20:19:58 UTC
Post by Dale Shaw
Hi,
[...]
you're box is filtering; ie: if theres no ssh listening you'd normally
get a fail response and no 45sec timeout. this looks to clogin as if
the device is unreachable, instead of ssh not answering.
Dale Shaw
2008-07-24 21:52:19 UTC
Thanks John, you pointed me in the right direction.

I neglected to mention that the box is virtual, and I was using the
'NAT' network interface for communicating via the host OS. Obviously
ICMP unreachables aren't handled by VMware Server (although echo
request/reply is). I changed the VM to 'Bridged', jiggled some guest
OS settings, and voila! It all started happening.

cheers,
Dale
Post by john heasley
Hi,