[rancid] RANCID - Password Error using Telnet on Cisco Switch
heasley
2016-12-21 04:49:03 UTC
Found the issue
Default configuration in the sample cloginrc file was overriding my value
clogin -[mM] devicename

is rather useful for finding such things.
Thanks for coming back with the answer. I thought it was a bit weird
that it works for me & not you..
Lee
John Heasley
2016-12-19 23:24:41 UTC
Setting up RANCID on CENTOS6
add password x.x.x.45 {xxxxxx!} {xxxxxx!}
<.. snip ..>
My password works fine when I enter it manually.
My password contains a " ! " character - could this be causing the
problem?
add password glob {foo\!bar}
Just out of curiosity - why would you need to escape the ! when it's inside {}s?
I've got a ! in one of my passwords and
add password devname {pass!word}
works fine for ssh (I don't use telnet any more).
Maybe the escaping isnt necessary for !, but it shouldnt hurt. I think i put a list in the manpage.
Thanks,
Lee
John Heasley
2016-12-20 16:31:31 UTC
Post by John Heasley
Maybe the escaping isnt necessary for !, but it shouldnt hurt. I think i put
a list in the manpage.
man cloginrc only mentions space & left/right squiggly brackets
it says "or special character" :) the interpretter reads the file as if it
were a script and *login use the value in send and join.
John Heasley
2016-12-21 05:08:58 UTC
In any case, on a related note - how hard would it be to have
something like the clogin -x option that treats the input file as
straight text with no meta-chars? Using rancid for things like
setting the banner, snmp community string, etc. is a pain. I'd much
prefer not having to figure out what all had to be escaped.
another user asked about this; there was a catch with doing this that I
am now struggling to remember and when that user did not reply I dropped
it. ISTR it was just not wanting to alter -x, rather use a different
option. grumble; I'll have to look at it again.