[rancid] Cisco SG-500 configs?
Alexander Bochmann
2014-06-04 08:44:03 UTC

does anyone have rancid 2.3.x patches for Cisco SG-500 switches with current
software? I've found several pieces of code that claim to support the SG series,
but none of them acutally work. The new SG switches are quite IOS-like, but not
enough to work with the normal clogin...

Alex.
Alex DEKKER
2014-06-05 12:58:18 UTC
Post by Alexander Bochmann
does anyone have rancid 2.3.x patches for Cisco SG-500 switches with current
software? I've found several pieces of code that claim to support the SG series,
but none of them acutally work. The new SG switches are quite IOS-like, but not
enough to work with the normal clogin...
Have you tried this?:

https://github.com/chrpinedo/rancid-cisco-sb

I have deployed it on multiple Ubuntu 12.04 servers [RANCID 2.3.6] and
have just done a 14.04 server today [2.3.8] and it seems to be OK. Also
works with older SFE2k switches.

Ahhh hang on, when you say current software, are you talking about newer
switch firmwares?

alexd
Alexander Bochmann
2014-06-05 14:27:48 UTC
Post by Alex DEKKER
Post by Alexander Bochmann
does anyone have rancid 2.3.x patches for Cisco SG-500 switches with current
software? I've found several pieces of code that claim to support the SG series,
https://github.com/chrpinedo/rancid-cisco-sb
Yes, and several variants of that one.
Post by Alex DEKKER
Ahhh hang on, when you say current software, are you talking about
newer switch firmwares?
Exactly. For example, csbrancid wants to use an "lcli" command upon logging
in that the current SG switches don't know about anymore - they expect an
"enable"...
Post by Alex DEKKER
sg5>enable
Password:************
sg5#sh ver
Unit SW version Boot version HW version
------------------- ------------------- ------------------- -------------------
1 1.3.7.18 1.3.7.01 V02
sg5#sh system
Unit Type
---- ----------------------
1 SG500-28
[..]
Alex.
Alex DEKKER
2014-06-05 15:07:18 UTC
Post by Alexander Bochmann
Post by Alex DEKKER
Ahhh hang on, when you say current software, are you talking about
newer switch firmwares?
Exactly. For example, csbrancid wants to use an "lcli" command upon logging
in that the current SG switches don't know about anymore - they expect an
"enable"...
Interesting. I have one install of RANCID with the rancid-cisco-sb
patches as above that is polling an SGE, and SFE and SG500X all with the
same device type. I was pleasantly surprised that it just seemed to know
what to do all by itself...

alexd
Alex DEKKER
2014-06-05 16:06:26 UTC
Post by Alexander Bochmann
Exactly. For example, csbrancid wants to use an "lcli" command upon logging
in that the current SG switches don't know about anymore - they expect an
"enable"...
I'm not an expect expert, but on line 361 of

https://github.com/chrpinedo/rancid-cisco-sb/blob/master/src/csblogin

I guess this is the start of a conditional, and it tries each
possibility in that code block against what it sees. So if there is no
menu bit, it never has to send the ^z and just goes straight for the
credentials.

alexd
Alex DEKKER
2014-06-05 16:07:14 UTC
Post by Alexander Bochmann
Exactly. For example, csbrancid wants to use an "lcli" command upon logging
in that the current SG switches don't know about anymore - they expect an
"enable"...
I'm not an expect expert, but on line 361 of

https://github.com/chrpinedo/rancid-cisco-sb/blob/master/src/csblogin

I guess this is the start of a conditional, and it tries each
possibility in that code block against what it sees. So if there is no
menu bit, it never has to send the ^z then lcli and just goes straight
for the credentials.

alexd
electro
2015-05-21 03:49:44 UTC
All,

Thanks for the patches. I was able to get this configured into the 2.x
version without much difficulty. Has anyone been able to make the
modifications required for 3.2? I have a client with multiple SG500s and
would love to have the ability to drop in rancid at their location. Please
let me know if anyone has been able to incorporate this into the latest
version. Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Post by Alexander Bochmann