[rancid] Rancid doesnt backup anything
Schnatterer, Michael
2010-12-21 13:49:42 UTC
Hello

I have a big problem:
I have installed rancid and it works perfectly but by some devices Rancid do nothing, it means the log files are empty and rancid doesn't backup any Configuration. Something that I recognized is, if I try "clogin Device_IP" he connect to the device. But if i type in show running-config nothing happens and a Time out reached.

Here an example out of cloginrc:
Add user * "User"
add password 192.168.1.1 DevicePW EnPW
add autoenable 192.168.1.1 1

Things that I tried out:
Router.db is right
I change the autoenable status to 0
I hang on the domain

There are standart cisco switches why it doesn't work???

Thanks for the help

Regards
Remy Heiden
2010-12-21 22:54:49 UTC
Hi Michael,

I have run into the same issue and have fixed this by replacing the
autoenable command by noenable. The device ( I believe it was an
ACE-context, but I could be wrong here) doesn't support the enable command
and its rancid process will be waiting for the enable password: prompt
untill it times out.

Somehow, simply removing the autoenable command doesn't work. I'm not sure
why.
Could someone please explain this?

Greetz,

Remy

"The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...
victory."

(Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore)

Hello
Remy Heiden
2010-12-21 23:09:57 UTC
Oops, Sorry.
I was too quick to answer and didn't read all of the question.

If these are "standard" Cisco switches, like 2900 Series or whatever, clogin
should be able to enable the privileged mode.

What happens when you set the autoenable to 0 (or remove the statement
completely) AND remove the enable-password from the password statement?
Does clogin still hang or are you getting a "normal" prompt that does
respond to commands?
Can you then enable the privileged mode on the switch after having clogin
log into the switch?

Please ensure the enable-password is correct and you have clogin connect to
the right switch.

Maybe you could post the command that clogin spawns to log into the switch
and all the output after that?

Greetz again,
Remy
Remy Heiden
2010-12-21 23:52:38 UTC
Hi Michael (and list),

Sorry to spam you, but this issue sounds a lot like the one in the next
thread (
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2010-December/005413.html
).

Do you also run version 2.3.2a9?

Remy
john heasley
2010-12-23 18:09:41 UTC
Post by Remy Heiden
Oops, Sorry.
I was too quick to answer and didn't read all of the question.
If these are "standard" Cisco switches, like 2900 Series or whatever, clogin
should be able to enable the privileged mode.
ios or catos should work.

you want to test that clogin can get enabled mode and run commands, as in
the FAQ.

clogin -c 'show version;show version' hostname/ip