[rancid] End of run not found
Alfredo Jo
2015-06-01 17:46:39 UTC
Hello,

I am running rancid 3.2. backing up various switches. I have a Dell switch
N3048 which used to back up but for some reason it has stopped and the logs
now show the following:

Trying to get all of the configs.

10.0.0.251: End of run not found

=====================================

Getting missed routers: round 1.

10.0.0.251: End of run not found

=====================================

Getting missed routers: round 2.

10.0.0.251: End of run not found

=====================================

Getting missed routers: round 3.

10.0.0.251: End of run not found

=====================================

Getting missed routers: round 4.

10.0.0.251: End of run not found

my router.db show:

10.0.0.251;force10;up

I am using force10 because its the only dell one in the list of devices

my .clogin info is:

#Dell N3048 Stack

add method 10.0.0.251 ssh

add user 10.0.0.251 adminusername

add password 10.0.0.251 {userPassword} {enablepassword}

As always very grateful for all the help.
Alan McKinnon
2015-06-01 19:03:17 UTC
10.0.0.251 <http://10.0.0.251>: End of run not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
10.0.0.251 <http://10.0.0.251>: End of run not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 2.
10.0.0.251 <http://10.0.0.251>: End of run not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
10.0.0.251 <http://10.0.0.251>: End of run not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.
10.0.0.251 <http://10.0.0.251>: End of run not found
10.0.0.251;force10;up
I am using force10 because its the only dell one in the list of devices
#Dell N3048 Stack
add method 10.0.0.251 ssh
add user 10.0.0.251 adminusername
add password 10.0.0.251 {userPassword} {enablepassword}
As always very grateful for all the help.
Your posted configs are correct, so we can rule out the usual typos etc.
I assume that 10.0.0.251 in your output formatted as a URL is some
artifact of mailers and is not present in the actual output?

My usual faultfinding at this point:

- make sure there is no "#" or ">" characters in the router prompt (I
believe recent rancid has improved this area and error handling)
- find out if the router or rancid was updated/changed co-incident with
when the backups started failing
- run f10rancid with the -d option so you can see what is really going
on. The clogin command used is often output right at the top so if -d
doesn't cut it, run that clogin command to get the entire output
including the details f10rancid doesn't echo to stdout
--
Alan McKinnon
***@gmail.com
Alfredo Jo
2015-06-01 19:34:19 UTC
Thank you, i am looking into it as well, might take me a while to figure it
out, Here is the output of the f10rancid -d run:

PROMPT MATCH: SF-LAN2#

HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show version

In ShowVersion: SF-LAN2#show version

HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show bootvar

In ShowBoot: SF-LAN2#show bootvar

HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#dir flash:

In DirSlotN: SF-LAN2#dir flash:

HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#dir slot0:

In DirSlotN: SF-LAN2#dir slot0:

HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show chassis

In ShowChassis: SF-LAN2#show chassis

HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show system

In ShowChassis: SF-LAN2#show system

HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show inventory

In ShowInventory: SF-LAN2#show inventory

HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show vlan

In ShowVLAN: SF-LAN2#show vlan

HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show running

In WriteTerm: SF-LAN2#show running

10.0.0.251: End of run not found

Alan McKinnon
2015-06-02 07:09:16 UTC
Post by Alfredo Jo
Thank you, i am looking into it as well, might take me a while to figure
PROMPT MATCH: SF-LAN2#
HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show version
In ShowVersion: SF-LAN2#show version
HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show bootvar
In ShowBoot: SF-LAN2#show bootvar
HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show chassis
In ShowChassis: SF-LAN2#show chassis
HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show system
In ShowChassis: SF-LAN2#show system
HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show inventory
In ShowInventory: SF-LAN2#show inventory
HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show vlan
In ShowVLAN: SF-LAN2#show vlan
HIT COMMAND:SF-LAN2#show running
In WriteTerm: SF-LAN2#show running
10.0.0.251 <http://10.0.0.251>: End of run not found
10.0.0.251 <http://10.0.0.251>: End of run not found
This shows that the script correctly detected the beginning of the
output from "show running", but not the end. The version of rancid I
have here is still the 2.3 series, and it shows that command is the last
one to be run.

The main loop in the script starts with this:

TOP: while(<INPUT>) {
tr/\015//d;
if (/\#\s?exit$/) {
$clean_run=1;
last;
}

So it's looking for the regex "/\#\s?exit$/) to detect end of output.
Perhaps that word exit doesn't appear, or the following EOL is missing?

Either way your true problem is around there somewhere.