[rancid] Rancid GUI
Harshal Patil
2013-03-28 06:05:27 UTC

I have installed Rancid software linux base software which takes backup of devices automatically on one my Server but i need to access these devices configuration by GUI. Someone suggested that it would be possible through FreeBSD .
So i need your help regarding this situation that where i can get full information that how to install FreeBSD on Rancid.
I am looking forward your response soon

Regards
Harshal

________________________________
Confidentiality: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not an intended named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.
shouldbeq931
2013-03-28 11:05:00 UTC
I use viewvc

Cheers

Arne

Sent on the move

Harshal Patil
2013-03-28 11:35:09 UTC
Hi Ame,

Thanks for the information. i will check Viewvc software whether it will work or not.
Could you please share if you have any document or any web link that guide how to install Viewvc software on rancid.

Thanks
Harshal

________________________________

Howard Jones
2013-03-28 11:13:57 UTC
On 28/03/2013 06:05, Harshal Patil wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed Rancid software linux base software which
> takes backup of devices automatically on one my Server but i need to
> access these devices configuration by GUI. Someone suggested that it
> would be possible through FreeBSD .
> So i need your help regarding this situation that where i can get
> full information that how to install FreeBSD on Rancid.

You don't need FreeBSD - all you need is a web-based viewer for CVS (or
Subversion if you enabled that option in RANCID).
http://www.viewvc.org/
supports CVS and Subversion.

There isn't a GUI for *configuring* RANCID though.
Michael W. Lucas
2013-03-28 11:40:39 UTC
Hello,

rancid only backs up devices that can be configured via command line.

If you're looking for a GUI interface to the data on your rancid
server, look at cvsweb.

==ml

Michael W. Lucas - ***@michaelwlucas.com, Twitter @mwlauthor
http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/, http://blather.MichaelWLucas.com/
Latest book: Absolute OpenBSD 2/e - http://www.nostarch.com/openbsd2e
coupon code "ILUVMICHAEL" gets you 30% off & helps me.
Michael W. Lucas
2013-03-28 14:03:56 UTC
Web server error. Check the error logs.

Debugging a web server varies widely depending on which web server,
which OS, which version of Perl, etc etc etc. I'd ask on a support
forum specializing in your platform.

Daniel Schmidt
2013-03-28 16:13:06 UTC
I second ol' fashion cvsweb. Easier to setup than viewvc, and just as
useful.

rancid only backs up devices that can be configured via command line.

If you're looking for a GUI interface to the data on your rancid server,
look at cvsweb.

==ml

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 02:05:27AM -0400, Harshal Patil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Rancid software linux base software which takes
backup
> of devices automatically on one my Server but i need to access these
> devices configuration by GUI. Someone suggested that it would be
possible
> through FreeBSD .
> So i need your help regarding this situation that where i can
get
> full information that how to install FreeBSD on Rancid.
> I am looking forward your response soon
>
> Regards
> Harshal

> ----
>
> Confidentiality: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential
and
> may also be privileged. If you are not an intended named recipient,
please
> notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to
another
> person use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in
any
> medium.

Michael W. Lucas - ***@michaelwlucas.com, Twitter @mwlauthor
http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/, http://blather.MichaelWLucas.com/ Latest
book: Absolute OpenBSD 2/e - http://www.nostarch.com/openbsd2e coupon code
"ILUVMICHAEL" gets you 30% off & helps me.

of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act and may be disclosed to third parties.
Tom Simpson
2013-03-28 16:15:19 UTC
TortoiseSVN works as well from a windows client....

Thanks,
Tom Simpson

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 28, 2013, at 12:13 PM, "Daniel Schmidt" <***@wyo.gov> wrote:

> I second ol' fashion cvsweb. Easier to setup than viewvc, and just as
> useful.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.

Forcht Group IT, 2400 South Main Street, Corbin, Ky.
Ryan West
2013-03-28 16:20:12 UTC

Websvn here.
Harshal Patil

Steve Madel
2013-03-28 13:25:14 UTC
You could use viewvc for this to view the diffs through a web gui.
Information is here.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rancid/users/2841

Hinote, Scotty (MSFC-IS40)[NICS]
2013-03-28 14:09:50 UTC
Hi Harshal,

FreeBSD RANCID install. The article below should list all of the steps needed to install RANCID from ports which is the basic setup.
http://uberbruco.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/rancid-on-freebsd/

OpenGrok GUI. I run this on my RHEL servers. It is Java and needs Tomcat to host the webapp but it has a lot of nice features like search which some other GUIs do not. You simply untar it and move it to where you want it reside on the server. It has a deploy option which sets up the app for Tomcat and an index option which you have to run for indexing RANCID's files once they are checked out using subversion. This is a lot more complicated than some other options but you do get extra features. If you are interested in more details I can help you with setup and hooking it into RANCID's subversion.
http://opengrok.github.com/OpenGrok/

WebSVN GUI. I used this at first because it is incredibly easy to setup and it works with your subversion directory automatically. It does not require checking out its own subversion copy from RANCID but it has no search capability. You should be able to start with number 8 in the article since the repository is already created by RANCID.
http://tgrove.com/2010/10/26/installing-subversion-on-freebsd-from-ports/

If you want something quick and easy to support I would install WebSVN. If you need searching capabilities you will have to use OpenGrok. Other options are desktop clients like TortoiseSVN and NetBeans that users can install themselves. You would only need to setup webdav for Apache and hook it into subversion which is really simple. I hope this helps. If you have questions let me know and I will try to help as much as I can.

Regards,
Scotty

Harshal Patil
2013-03-29 11:48:47 UTC
Thanks Scotty. I really appreciated for help.