[rancid] Nexus 9k Login Crypto
Piegorsch, Weylin William
2016-12-29 03:08:32 UTC
Regarding type “cisco-nx”, is there a need to take into account the Nexus 9000 crypto support?

See here:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/200663-Unable-to-SSH-into-Nexus-9K-fatal.html

I found that my default setting yielded:

[***@localhost ~]$ clogin Nexus-9k
Nexus-9k
spawn telnet Nexus-9k
Trying 10.123.12.241...
telnet: connect to address 10.123.12.241: Connection refused
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid Nexus-9k
no matching cipher found: client 3des-cbc server aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr

Error: Couldn't login: Nexus-9k
[***@localhost ~]$

However, if I added the line to my .cloginrc:
add cyphertype Nexus-9k {aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr}

Then everything worked fine (I’ll spare everyone the output).

I’m not clear this is a rancid issue, or a local system issue. Is it something at least worth noting?

weylin
heasley
2016-12-29 17:53:31 UTC
Regarding type “cisco-nx”, is there a need to take into account the Nexus 9000 crypto support?
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/200663-Unable-to-SSH-into-Nexus-9K-fatal.html
Nexus-9k
spawn telnet Nexus-9k
Trying 10.123.12.241...
telnet: connect to address 10.123.12.241: Connection refused
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid Nexus-9k
no matching cipher found: client 3des-cbc server aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr
Error: Couldn't login: Nexus-9k
add cyphertype Nexus-9k {aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr}
thats fine.
Then everything worked fine (I’ll spare everyone the output).
I’m not clear this is a rancid issue, or a local system issue. Is it something at least worth noting?
previous versions of rancid forced 3des, apparently including your version.
just use the cyphertype or upgrade, and you may still need to specify
cyphertype for the device. also see the FAQ.