[rancid] New installation
Steve Ousley
2008-10-06 16:12:13 UTC
OK, my second installation of Rancid seemed to be all over the place, so
having simply one firewall on there, I decided to start from scratch.

I followed the instructions, and got rancid installed ok, down to point 7
(Run rancid-cvs) no errors. I then added a firewall to my "asa" group's
router.db in the form: "hostname:cisco:up" and ran rancid-run.

Now, the reason that this was restarted was due to it not putting the diffs
into CVS properly, and it seems that is still the case.

I have checked the "asa" log and have this:

rancid:/usr/local/rancid# cat var/logs/asa.20081006.170446

starting: Mon Oct 6 17:04:46 BST 2008

cvs add: in directory `.':

cvs [add aborted]: there is no version here; do `cvs checkout' first

cvs commit: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory

cvs commit: nothing known about `hostname'

cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

Added hostname

cvs status: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory

cvs status: use `cvs add' to create an entry for `hostname'

cvs add: in directory `.':

cvs [add aborted]: there is no version here; do `cvs checkout' first

cvs added missing router hostname

Trying to get all of the configs.

All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: in directory .:

cvs [diff aborted]: there is no version here; run 'cvs checkout' first

cvs commit: in directory .:

cvs [commit aborted]: there is no version here; run 'cvs checkout' first

ending: Mon Oct 6 17:05:01 BST 2008

in the log file. I thought that the rancid-cvs command was supposed to
create all of these automatically? I have my LIST_OF_GROUPS setup as:

LIST_OF_GROUPS="switches routers asa pix"

So this all looks ok to me. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Steve Ousley - SO620-RIPE

Nuco Technologies Ltd

<mailto:***@host-it.co.uk> ***@host-it.co.uk

<http://www.nucotechnologies.com/> www.nucotechnologies.com

Tel. 0870 165 1300

Nuco Technologies Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
with company number 04470751
Steve Ousley
2008-10-07 08:15:35 UTC
2008-10-08 16:52:00 UTC
I now have a working Rancid installation. I think it is a bug in the
rancid-cvs that caused this as I simply copied the slightly older version
from our previously running rancid box, and everything went through ok first
time :)

Thanks for the help.

Steve Ousley - SO620-RIPE
Nuco Technologies Ltd