[rancid] upgrade from 2.3.2-a7-2?
Chris Gauthier
2009-11-06 18:50:10 UTC
So, now that I have installed my new ASA5520, I have the same "coredump"
file issue that had been previously reported by others. I know the fix
is to upgrade to 2.3.2, but I'm not sure of the best way to do that
since my installation is an ubuntu package installation.

If I uninstall the package, then I will lose my configs and repository,
right?

How would you handle this? I think I need to uninstall the 3 rancid
packages and build from source. I just don't want to lose everything in
the process.

Here are the 3 packages (all 2.3.20-a7-2)

rancid-cgi

rancid-core

rancid-util

Ideas?

Chris Gauthier

Network Administrator

MaPS Credit Union

v: 503.375.2445

f: 503.779.1083

http://www.mapscu.com <http://www.mapscu.com>

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to
return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Schmidt, Daniel
2009-11-09 15:17:39 UTC
I use ubuntu, but I installed from source. When I upgraded, I just
wrote over what I had already. It worked fine. Well, besides the bugs
which I've mentioned the past few weeks.

________________________________

-Leonardo da Vinci
Chris Gauthier
2009-12-21 22:38:03 UTC
Thanks to John for the answer he sent me about this earlier. I thought I would share my feedback for anyone using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server:

I had the 3 packages mentioned previously installed. What someone did when packaging for Ubuntu was to split the installation into 3 different debian packages (why??? Who knows...) The rancid-cgi was the looking glass installation. The rancid-core is just that, the core files, and the rancid-util includes the /share directory (rtronline, downtime, etc).

I uninstalled all three packages and built the 2.3.2 version install with the following parameters:

~ # tar zxf rancid-2.3.2.tar.gz
~/rancid-2.3.2 # ./configure --prefix=/var/lib/rancid --exec-prefix=/usr/lib/rancid --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc/rancid --mandir=/usr/share/man
~/rancid-2.3.2 # make
~/rancid-2.3.2 # make install
~/rancid-2.3.2 # ln -s /usr/lib/rancid/bin ~rancid/bin
~/rancid-2.3.2 # ln -s /var/log/rancid ~rancid/logs

Everything works normally in terms of getting the info. However, it remains to be seen how the configs do over time (do I get annoying change emails every time or not?).

Chris

-Leonardo da Vinci
Per Carlson
2009-12-22 09:50:07 UTC
Hi.

This is more related to managing a Debian-based (like Ubuntu) server
than a RANCID topic, but I'll answer it here anyway.
I had the 3 packages mentioned previously installed.  What someone did when packaging for Ubuntu was to split the installation into 3 different debian packages (why??? Who knows...)
This is a very normal approach in the Debian world.

If, for example, a software is a bundle of several components that
functions seperatly, some users are only interested in componentA,
while others in componentB. Why forcing users to install components
(which potentionally could be large) they don't use? Instead Debian
splits the (binary) package in componentA and B, and gives the users
the freedom to choose.

That's exactly the argument here: some wants to run the looking glass
portion of RANCID, and others want to run the configuration
maintenance task, and some of *those* also want the web-ui.

(There are other arguments behind splitting a package, but they don't
apply to RANCID.)
If I uninstall the package, then I will lose my configs and repository, right?
No you won't (but a backup never hurts). Debian differs between
"uninstall" and "purge". Uninstall don't remove any config files or
data files, just binaries (this is not 100% correct, but I'll drop the
details here). Purge on the other hand also removes the config files,
and potentionally the data files.
How would you handle this?  I think I need to uninstall the 3 rancid packages and build from source.  I just don't want to lose everything in the process.
The best way to do this is using multiple package sources. You can use
the normal repository for Hardy as normal, and add a "lastest and
greatest" repository separatly. You then use APT-Pinning to set the
priorities between the repositories (Hardy as default, "lastest and
greatest" when specifically asked for). A simple web-search returns a
lot of guides and howto's on the topic.

As a side note: tracking "lastest and greatest" is much easier in
Debian (always testing and/or unstable) then in Ubuntu (right now:
lucid).
--
Pelle