[rancid] VLAN 1 port members change when port goes down
Martin Barry
2010-07-27 14:08:39 UTC
Hi list

I'm trying to tune the signal to noise ratio from rancid and I have an issue
with VLAN 1 (Yes, yes, I know you shouldn't use it. Dealing with legacy
config here).

When a port in VLAN 1 goes down, the next time rancid runs I get diffs like:

!
!VLAN: VLAN Name Status Ports
!VLAN: ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
- !VLAN: 1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/6
- !VLAN: Fa0/7, Fa0/9, Fa0/11, Fa0/13
- !VLAN: Fa0/15, Fa0/19, Fa0/20, Fa0/21
- !VLAN: Fa0/22, Fa0/23, Fa0/26, Fa0/28
- !VLAN: Fa0/30, Fa0/32, Fa0/34, Fa0/36
- !VLAN: Fa0/39, Gi0/2
+ !VLAN: 1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/5
+ !VLAN: Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/9, Fa0/11
+ !VLAN: Fa0/13, Fa0/15, Fa0/19, Fa0/20
+ !VLAN: Fa0/21, Fa0/22, Fa0/23, Fa0/26
+ !VLAN: Fa0/28, Fa0/30, Fa0/32, Fa0/34
+ !VLAN: Fa0/36, Fa0/39, Gi0/2
!VLAN: 27 VLAN0027 active Fa0/45, Fa0/46, Fa0/47, Fa0/48
!VLAN: 100 VLAN0100 active
!VLAN: 110 VLAN0110 active

When the port comes back up, I get the reverse.

Anyone figured out a way to stop the port memberships flapping or exclude it
from the rancid diffs?

cheers
Marty
Chandler, Mel
2010-07-28 16:32:56 UTC
I'm seeing this same thing in our diffs. Any word on a work around or
should I just ignore it?

Chandler Bing

-------------------------------
[...]

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged. If you are
not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee,
you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by
replying to the message and delete the original message and any copies immediately thereafter.

Thank you.
FACLD -
john heasley
2010-07-28 17:09:31 UTC
Post by Chandler, Mel
I'm seeing this same thing in our diffs. Any word on a work around or
should I just ignore it?
Chandler Bing
I'm trying to tune the signal to noise ratio from rancid and I have an issue
with VLAN 1 (Yes, yes, I know you shouldn't use it. Dealing with legacy
config here).
IIRC, this occurs when VTP is enabled. it may occur in other instances
that i'm not aware of. either disable vtp or comment-out 'show vlan'
in the rancid script.
Post by Chandler, Mel
!
!VLAN: VLAN Name Status Ports