[rancid] Device into routers.down
Gary Douglas
2013-05-24 13:48:55 UTC
We have been running Rancid for a couple of years on our core devices. I am moving it to VM with Unbuntu Server and setting it up for all our network devices. I have it working on our egress groups with no problem. I add the core group and it moves every device to the routers.down file automagically. I run the clogin for the device in question and this logs me in just fine. I have removed then added the devices back into router.db and this does not help. The devices I am trying to connect to are the same type device that is working in the egress group. How can I troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you
Gary Douglas
Alan McKinnon
2013-05-25 09:11:38 UTC
Post by Gary Douglas
We have been running Rancid for a couple of years on our core devices. I
am moving it to VM with Unbuntu Server and setting it up for all our
network devices. I have it working on our egress groups with no problem.
I add the core group and it moves every device to the routers.down file
automagically. I run the clogin for the device in question and this logs
me in just fine. I have removed then added the devices back into
router.db and this does not help. The devices I am trying to connect to
are the same type device that is working in the egress group. How can I
troubleshoot this problem?
Most likely you have different versions of utility tools such as expect
and friends.

Start by examining the logs in $RANCIDDIR/var/logs for that device - the
cause of failure is usually there.

You can also check for dumb human mistakes like mistyping :up in
router.db and a typo in GROUPS in rancid.conf [yes indeed, I've made
those mistakes myself - more than once :-) ]
--
Alan McKinnon
***@gmail.com
Gary Douglas