[rancid] Help with Rancid Netscreen
Trevor Coyle
2010-02-11 14:49:10 UTC
Hi I was wondering if you could help?

I'm currently trying to backup the config for a Juniper (Netscreen
SSG-550) and the log file is coming out with

starting: Thu Feb 11 12:51:48 GMT 2010

/usr/local/rancid/bin/control_rancid: line 234: cvs: command not found

/usr/local/rancid/bin/control_rancid: line 235: cvs: command not found

Added file_name

/usr/local/rancid/bin/control_rancid: line 260: cvs: command not found

Trying to get all of the configs.

=====================================

Getting missed routers: round 1.

=====================================

Getting missed routers: round 2.

=====================================

Getting missed routers: round 3.

=====================================

Getting missed routers: round 4.

/usr/local/rancid/bin/control_rancid: line 372: cvs: command not found

/usr/local/rancid/bin/control_rancid: line 384: cvs: command not found

ending: Thu Feb 11 12:51:50 GMT 2010

The File output in Configs is blank, the nlogin is able to login to the
firewall but the nrancid doesn't seem to be outputting the config

Can you please Help

Thank You,

Trevor

Registered in Ireland No. 321280, VAT Reg. No. IE 63412800
Registered Address. 1 Parkway House, Western Parkway Business Park,
Ballymount, Dublin 12
Directors - S.MacNicholas, P.Ledwidge, C.OColmain, J.Byrne
derek stewart
2010-02-11 15:03:17 UTC
remove me please

________________________________

Trevor Coyle
2010-02-11 16:22:03 UTC
Thank you for the reply,

Rancid is working for all Cisco Devices but the Netscreen Firewall is having the problem, I have created a new group for Juniper and it can login into the Firewall OK but doesn't seem to be taking the config down, would you say I need to install CVS in this case?

Trevor

________________________________

2010-02-11 16:31:12 UTC
Arni,

It's a run as atask with crontab

Its running as user rancid the same as the cisco devices

Its one instance for the routers and firewalls

Tks,

Trevor

________________________________

Its running as user rancid the same as the cisco devices
Its one instance for the routers and firewalls
if its one cron job, its truely bizarre.

you must be affecting the path environment variable somehow between running
one group and the next.

your cronjob should be similar to

<time spec> <path>/bin/rancid-run

no more is required.
Post by Trevor Coyle
Tks,
Trevor
________________________________
Sent: 11 February 2010 16:17
To: Trevor Coyle
Trevor Coyle
2010-02-12 09:07:13 UTC
Rancid has been running for the last few years backing up cisco's

I edited the GROUPS in the rancid.conf to include the new netscreen
group

Then I ran rancid-cvs

Test the nlogin to see if it could login under the Rancid user which it
could get into the firewall

I Ran Rancid-run and I get that error my first mail in the logs

NOTE: I had to change some things in the bin/nrancid to get it to run, I
was getting missing curly bracket errors so I added them in to the
correct place and the errors stopped

Crontab -

# rancid
01 0 * * * rancid /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run

Thank You for your help,
Trevor

Its running as user rancid the same as the cisco devices
Its one instance for the routers and firewalls
if its one cron job, its truely bizarre.

you must be affecting the path environment variable somehow between
running
one group and the next.

your cronjob should be similar to

<time spec> <path>/bin/rancid-run

no more is required.
Post by Trevor Coyle
Tks,
Trevor
________________________________
Sent: 11 February 2010 16:26
To: Trevor Coyle
Post by Trevor Coyle
- Arni
Thank you for the reply,
Rancid is working for all Cisco Devices but the Netscreen Firewall is
having the problem, I have created a new group for Juniper and it can
login into the Firewall OK but doesn't seem to be taking the config
down, would you say I need to install CVS in this case?
Trevor
________________________________
Sent: 11 February 2010 16:17
To: Trevor Coyle
john heasley
2010-02-12 17:02:20 UTC
Post by Trevor Coyle
Rancid has been running for the last few years backing up cisco's
I edited the GROUPS in the rancid.conf to include the new netscreen
group
check the PATH variable in rancid.conf. ensure that the syntax is
correct and the location of cvs is included.
Post by Trevor Coyle
Then I ran rancid-cvs
Test the nlogin to see if it could login under the Rancid user which it
could get into the firewall
I Ran Rancid-run and I get that error my first mail in the logs
NOTE: I had to change some things in the bin/nrancid to get it to run, I
was getting missing curly bracket errors so I added them in to the
correct place and the errors stopped
that was fixed and is definitely in the current version.
Post by Trevor Coyle
Crontab -
# rancid
01 0 * * * rancid /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run
Thank You for your help,
Trevor
Its running as user rancid the same as the cisco devices
Its one instance for the routers and firewalls
if its one cron job, its truely bizarre.
you must be affecting the path environment variable somehow between running
one group and the next.
your cronjob should be similar to
<time spec> <path>/bin/rancid-run
no more is required.
Post by Trevor Coyle
Tks,
Trevor
________________________________
Sent: 11 February 2010 16:26
To: Trevor Coyle
Post by Trevor Coyle
- Arni
Thank you for the reply,
Rancid is working for all Cisco Devices but the Netscreen Firewall is
having the problem, I have created a new group for Juniper and it can
login into the Firewall OK but doesn't seem to be taking the config
down, would you say I need to install CVS in this case?
Trevor
________________________________
Sent: 11 February 2010 16:17
To: Trevor Coyle
Trevor Coyle
2010-02-17 13:59:01 UTC
The PATH is

PATH=/usr/local/rancid/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:.:/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/
usr/local/bin:/usr/bin; export PATH

CVSROOT=$BASEDIR/CVS; export CVSROOT

Its running as user rancid the same as the cisco devices
Its one instance for the routers and firewalls
if its one cron job, its truely bizarre.
you must be affecting the path environment variable somehow between running
one group and the next.
your cronjob should be similar to
<time spec> <path>/bin/rancid-run
no more is required.
Post by Trevor Coyle
Tks,
Trevor
________________________________
Sent: 11 February 2010 16:26
To: Trevor Coyle
Post by Trevor Coyle
- Arni
Thank you for the reply,
Rancid is working for all Cisco Devices but the Netscreen Firewall is
having the problem, I have created a new group for Juniper and it can
login into the Firewall OK but doesn't seem to be taking the config
down, would you say I need to install CVS in this case?
Trevor
________________________________
Sent: 11 February 2010 16:17
To: Trevor Coyle
john heasley
2010-02-17 17:32:02 UTC
Post by Trevor Coyle
The PATH is
PATH=/usr/local/rancid/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:.:/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/
usr/local/bin:/usr/bin; export PATH
is cvs in one of those directories? is that one line, and its just your
MUA that wrapped it? sh rancid.conf should produce no errors.
CVSROOT=$BASEDIR/CVS; export CVSROOT
Its running as user rancid the same as the cisco devices
Its one instance for the routers and firewalls
if its one cron job, its truely bizarre.
you must be affecting the path environment variable somehow between running
one group and the next.
your cronjob should be similar to
<time spec> <path>/bin/rancid-run
no more is required.
Post by Trevor Coyle
Tks,
Trevor
________________________________
Sent: 11 February 2010 16:26
To: Trevor Coyle
Post by Trevor Coyle
having the problem, I have created a new group for Juniper and it can
login into the Firewall OK but doesn't seem to be taking the config
down, would you say I need to install CVS in this case?
Trevor
________________________________
Sent: 11 February 2010 16:17
To: Trevor Coyle

[...]