[rancid] Up-to-date check failed
Андрей Фомин
2016-01-20 08:00:19 UTC
May be this can be somehow related to HDD-failure we had 2 weeks ago.

After this HDD failure, i found that rancid has not recognized config
changes for last 2 weeks. I'm not a rancid-expert, but i found some
recomendations on debugging rancid failures - (briefly) try to manually
'clogin', if ok, try rancid-run explicitly an watch for logs. 'clogin' went
perfect, so here's my log:

$ cat network.20160120.103453
starting:

Trying to get all of the configs.
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 2.
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs diff: configs/10.0.1.249 was removed, no comparison available
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs
cvs commit: Up-to-date check failed for `configs/10.0.X.Y'
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

ending:

Can anyone help in this situation?

PS: is there any RANCID-book or something? I only find documents which i
can describe as "deploying guides", but this doesn't give any information
about how it actually works (let's call it 'mehanics of rancid'). Or i need
to read for ex. O'reilly's "Essential CVS" and couple of other books? Need
your advice about this. I feel frustrated about rancid and need to cope
with it in some better way than now.
heasley
2016-01-20 17:57:43 UTC
Post by Андрей Фомин
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs diff: configs/10.0.1.249 was removed, no comparison available
this file apparently was not added properly or something similar. easiest
fix is remove/comment it from router.db, run rancid-run, replace it in
router.db.
Post by Андрей Фомин
cvs commit: Up-to-date check failed for `configs/10.0.X.Y'
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!
this can occur if cvs is interrupted. as the rancid user, run cvs update in
that group directory. you may need to rm the file and run re-run the cvs
update. rancid does not do an update because we feel that this is an
error situation where either someone externally modified the file or cvs
crashed.
Post by Андрей Фомин
PS: is there any RANCID-book or something? I only find documents which i
can describe as "deploying guides", but this doesn't give any information
about how it actually works (let's call it 'mehanics of rancid'). Or i need
to read for ex. O'reilly's "Essential CVS" and couple of other books? Need
your advice about this. I feel frustrated about rancid and need to cope
with it in some better way than now.
both a cvs problems - with some rancid knowledge required, i suppose. there
is a FAQ that comes with rancid and is available on the website.
Андрей Фомин
2016-01-20 19:43:34 UTC
oops... I tried to hide ip-address information, but missed.
Actually it's the same device, that's experiencing problems in log-files.

I commented this line, reran rancid-run, then uncommented it and reran
again, but this resulted:

$ grep '249' ../network/router.db
10.0.1.249:cisco:up

$ cat network.20160120.222451
starting:

cvs status: 10.0.1.249 should be removed and is still there

Trying to get all of the configs.
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 2.
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs diff: configs/10.0.1.249 was removed, no comparison available
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs
cvs commit: `configs/10.0.1.249' should be removed and is still there (or
is back again)
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

ending:

I don't know what's the problem, my only guess is that i need to eliminate
the problem with the cvs update. What i do:

$ pwd
/usr/local/rancid/var/CVS
$ cvs -d /usr/local/rancid/var/CVS update
cvs update: in directory .:
cvs [update aborted]: there is no version here; run 'cvs checkout' first

$ cvs -d /usr/local/rancid/var/CVS checkout
cvs [checkout aborted]: must specify at least one module or directory

May be i'm doing wrong, but that is all i found how to perform cvs update.
Command refuses do anything without -d and absolute path to CVSROOT, so
i've managed to find it:

$ find /usr/local/rancid/ -name 'CVSROOT'
/usr/local/rancid/var/CVS/CVSROOT