[rancid] Same email again and again every hour
Ronni Jensen
2010-07-06 08:56:02 UTC
Hello,

I hope someone can help sove this issue;

I use rancid to backup configs og Cisco switches, firewalls, access points
and in general this all works perfect.

However, for one particular switch, a Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L, I get the same
mail with subject "switches router config diffs" every hour regarding this
switch. The mails have the same contents and the same size, so why does it
send? I deleted the switch from router.db, waited until it was moved to
attic and then created it again - result is the same.

Any idea how I can make it act normally?

Best regards,
Ronni
Ryan West
2010-07-06 13:46:53 UTC
From: rancid-discuss-***@shrubbery.net [mailto:rancid-discuss-***@shrubbery.net] On Behalf Of Ronni Jensen

Hello,

I hope someone can help sove this issue;

I use rancid to backup configs og Cisco switches, firewalls, access points and in general this all works perfect.

However, for one particular switch, a Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L, I get the same mail with subject "switches router config diffs" every hour regarding this switch. The mails have the same contents and the same size, so why does it send? I deleted the switch from router.db, waited until it was moved to attic and then created it again - result is the same.

Any idea how I can make it act normally?

What version of code are you running on the switch and where are the diffs coming from? Are the VLANs being formatted differently? Do you have dot1x configured on the switch?

-ryan
storm jumper
2010-07-07 03:08:05 UTC
Ronni,

Can you make a small inconsequential change (such as interface description),
and it affects the RANCID generated email?

If the new email includes the interface description change PLUS all the
other previous changes, it's possible that your file permissions have
changed, and that (the userid running) RANCID isn't able to modify the
config for the device in question.

regards,
Hock Jim
Ronni Jensen
2010-07-07 07:46:33 UTC

Thank you for the replies.. I'll try to answer the questions;

- I am using this version: rancid-2.3.2-3.fc12.i686

I tried changing the description (on Fa0/8) and as you can see from this
config snippet, it includes both the new line but also the whole config +
old configs :-/

------------------------------------
*+ interface FastEthernet0/6
+ description CrossOver cable between MPLS-SW01 and MPLS-SW02
+ switchport access vlan 350
+ switchport mode access
+ !
+ interface FastEthernet0/7
+ description CrossOver cable between MPLS-SW01 and MPLS-SW02
+ switchport access vlan 150
+ switchport mode access
+ !
+ interface FastEthernet0/8
+ description C2940 Management Interface
+ switchport access vlan 150
+ switchport mode access*
------------------------------------

I get this in the logs for switches though:

------------------------------------
Trying to get all of the configs.
All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs
cvs commit: Up-to-date check failed for `configs/sw11'
cvs commit: Up-to-date check failed for `configs/sw03'
cvs commit: Up-to-date check failed for `configs/sw06'
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

ending: Wed Jul 7 09:15:38 CEST 2010
------------------------------------

..and it's sw03, 06 and 11 in all logs. Permissions looks ok, and the config
files get updated:

-rw-r----- 1 rancid rancid 14561 2010-07-07 09:15 sw03
-rw-r----- 1 rancid rancid 8798 2010-07-07 09:15 sw04
-rw-r----- 1 rancid rancid 8416 2010-07-07 09:15 sw05
-rw-r----- 1 rancid rancid 8485 2010-07-07 09:15 sw06
-rw-r----- 1 rancid rancid 48477 2010-07-07 09:15 sw11

Please let me know if you need more info?

Best regards,
Ronni