[rancid] RANCID/clogin context-change FWSM/ASA
c***@tu-dortmund.de
2015-11-17 09:26:04 UTC
Hello all!

I have the problem to change the context after login into a Cisco FWSM.
This is my clogin-command:

=============
***@host:$ /usr/lib/rancid/bin/clogin -c 'terminal pager 0; changeto context system;sh running-config;exit' asa-address
asa-address
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l cisco_login asa-address
***@asa-address's password:
Type help or '?' for a list of available commands.
asa-address/admin> enable
Password:
asa-address/admin#
asa-address/admin# terminal length 0
^
ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
asa-address/admin# terminal width 132
^
ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
asa-address/admin# terminal pager 0
asa-address/admin# changeto context system

Error: TIMEOUT reached
***@host:$
=============

The timeout appears at nearly 45 seconds.
-
I tried to find out something with the -d option, but it looks ok.
I could mail, if useful, the output also.
-
I ran this on a ASA 5585, and it works fine there!
Also for our Switches (without context-change ;-)).
What could be the problem here?

Thanks for help or new ideas!
BR
Christian
Wichtiger Hinweis: Die Information in dieser E-Mail ist vertraulich. Sie ist ausschließlich fÃŒr den Adressaten bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der fÃŒr diese E-Mail bestimmte Adressat sein, unterrichten Sie bitte den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Vielen Dank.
Unbeschadet der Korrespondenz per E-Mail, sind unsere ErklÀrungen ausschließlich final rechtsverbindlich, wenn sie in herkömmlicher Schriftform (mit eigenhÀndiger Unterschrift) oder durch Übermittlung eines solchen SchriftstÃŒcks per Telefax erfolgen.

Important note: The information included in this e-mail is confidential. It is solely intended for the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail please contact the sender and delete this message. Thank you. Without prejudice of e-mail correspondence, our statements are only legally binding when they are made in the conventional written form (with personal signature) or when such documents are sent by fax.
Lee Rian (CENSUS/TCO FED)
2015-11-17 15:51:38 UTC
Post by c***@tu-dortmund.de
What could be the problem here?
RANCID looks for the prompt. If it doesn't see it you get a timeout

I'm going to guess the problem is the prompt is different in the system context. I just tried it & got:

asaname/admin> ena
Password: ****************
asaname/admin# changeto context system
asaname#

& no, sorry, I don't know how to deal with the prompt changing on you like that.

Regards,

Lee

________________________________
[...]

Wichtiger Hinweis: Die Information in dieser E-Mail ist vertraulich. Sie ist ausschließlich für den Adressaten bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der für diese E-Mail bestimmte Adressat sein, unterrichten Sie bitte den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Vielen Dank.
Unbeschadet der Korrespondenz per E-Mail, sind unsere Erklärungen ausschließlich final rechtsverbindlich, wenn sie in herkömmlicher Schriftform (mit eigenhändiger Unterschrift) oder durch Übermittlung eines solchen Schriftstücks per Telefax erfolgen.

Alan McKinnon
2015-11-17 20:58:27 UTC
The code that does it usually looks something like this in main() (it
can be different for each *rancid parser script):

if (!defined($prompt)) {
$prompt = ($_ =~ /^([^#>]+[#>])/)[0];
$prompt =~ s/([][}{)(\\])/\\$1/g;
print STDERR ("PROMPT MATCH: $prompt\n") if ($debug);
}

This should do the right thing:

$prompt = ($_ =~ /^([^#>]+[#>])\s*$/)[0];

That will skip the first two prompts in your output below and pick the
3rd, and correct, one. To work, the FSWM prompt must behave predictably
like this.
***@gmail.com
Howard Jones
2015-11-18 06:51:55 UTC
I found a working solution:

/usr/lib/rancid/bin/clogin -c 'terminal pager 0;changeto context admin\rchangeto context system;sh running-config\rexit'

The prompt seems not to be the problem, the problem appears at the "changeto"!
I saw, that it worked with the actual logged-in-user: "admin# changeto context admin" No timeout!
So i tried it with the actual one and DIRECTLY with a "return" (\r) behind it an change tu the system context - this works, without ";"!
The same problem later in the commands, so i type also a \r at before the "exit". Fine!

Now i can work with the script.
Thanks and greetings.
:-)

Daniel Tuecks
2015-11-18 11:13:30 UTC
Hey,

back in 2006 there was a patch on this list:
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2006-May/001490.html. We
are still using this patch even today with rancid-3.2. With this you can
tweak your .cloginrc to switch the context on login. Each contexts is
treated as a separate device:

# Base login for the asa-01 device
add user asa-01 username
add password asa-01 password password
add method asa-01 {ssh:22}
add autoenable asa-01 {0}
add cyphertype asa-01 3DES

# Login to admin on asa-01
add method asa-01-admin {usercmd}
add usercmd asa-01-admin {clogin} {asa-01}
add usercmd_chat asa-01-admin {asa-01/admin#} {changeto system\r} {asa-01#}
{changeto context admin\r} {asa-01/admin#} {\r}

# Login to fwcontext on asa-01
add method asa-01-fwcontext {usercmd}
add usercmd asa-01-fwcontext {clogin} {asa-01}
add usercmd_chat asa-01-fwcontext {asa-01/admin#} {changeto system\r}
{asa-01#} {changeto context fwcontext\r} {asa-01/fwcontext#} {\r}

With this you can do 'clogin asa-01-fwcontext'.

Regards,
Daniel
Jack O Regan
2015-11-17 17:38:43 UTC
Hi Lee,

I'm trying to get rancid to backup some virtual contexts too. Below is an
example of how my prompt changes on my ASA5525.

*FWL/admin/act# changeto context int-crp*
*FWL/int-crp/act# changeto context system*
*FWL/act#*

It always ends in a '#'. Is this the same for you ? I think this bit of
code (from /usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin) detects the prompt

* # Figure out the prompt.*
* if { [regexp -- "(#| \\(enable\\))" $prompt_match junk] == 1 } {*
* set enable 0*

I think its looking for # or (enable) but I don't understand how it ignores
what ever text comes before that. So it *should* work. Maybe it doesn't
like the /'s being part of what comes before the #. I'm not sure how to
investigate that.

For example if the prompt changed to > we should insert it there.

* # Figure out the prompt.*
* if { [regexp -- "(>|#| \\(enable\\))" $prompt_match junk] == 1 } {*
* set enable 0*

Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

Regards,
Jack

Christian Filips
2015-11-17 10:32:06 UTC
Hello to all!

[...]

I could post, if useful, the output also.

Other commands are functional, only the context-change has problems.

-