[rancid] rancid not working with partitions v11.x tmsh F5 LTM
Shaun Krok
2014-10-12 04:27:25 UTC
Hi

I am busy to integrate Rancid into our network and have an issue with
partitions on BIG IP LTM v11.x
All works fine but Rancid does not backup all partitions …
I am using the script from GIT with TMSH commands

This command work from bash : tmsh -q -c "cd /; list recursive" but
does not from the script ..

This is a snip from the forum where the issue was identified but is
anyone aware if there is a fix :

Thanks

Shaun

here is a working tmsh version in the rancid git repo.

The only thing that doesn't work when adjusting the script to list all
partition co config is a tmsh -q -c "cd /; list recursive" - it errors
out
due to extra double quotes required by the -c option.
On Dec 6, 2012 8:57 PM, "Darius Seroka" <dariusjs at gmail.com> wrote:

Shaun Krok
Network Team
--
Shaun Krok
Tel: 050 2424 381
Shaun Krok
2014-10-13 05:13:15 UTC
Thank your for the reply ---

i have created a bash script on the F5 and it works creating a
test.file with all the config
the file is in /root/f5part

#!/bin/bash
tmsh -q -c 'cd / ;list recursive'

how do i call from f5rancid or do i have this all wrong ?

{'tmsh -q list' => 'WriteTermTMSH'},
#{'tmsh -q -c /"cd /;list recursive"/' => 'WriteTermTMSH'},
We found easiestquickest way to modify rancid-f5 - post 11.x version
checkdetect, call a bash script under /root/bin which runs "tmsh -q
-c
cd / ;list recursive" working around the rancid limitationerrors that
resulted when  cd / ;list recursive was added to rancid-f5 itself.
Post by Shaun Krok
Hi
I am busy to integrate Rancid into our network and have an issue
with partitions on BIG IP LTM v11.x
All  works fine but Rancid does not backup all partitions …
I am using the script from GIT with TMSH commands
This command work from bash : tmsh -q -c "cd /; list recursive" but
does not from the script ..
This is a snip from the forum where the issue was identified but is
Thanks
Shaun
here is a working tmsh version in the rancid git repo.
The only thing that doesnt work when adjusting the script to list
all
partition co config is a tmsh -q -c "cd /; list recursive" - it
errors out
due to extra double quotes required by the -c option.
On Dec 6, 2012 8:57 PM, "Darius Seroka" <dariusjs at gmail.com [1]>
Shaun Krok
Network Team
--
Shaun Krok
Tel: 050 2424 381
Tel: 050 2424 381
Shaun Krok
2014-10-15 15:24:32 UTC
Hi

I know this probably has been queried and resolved before but I am
struggling to make rancid
include $Group/$Device in the subject line.

I know this works when using -r command line option but this works only
for a single host (from router.db)

any help with this would be much appreciated !

running version 3.1

Shaun
heasley
2014-10-15 16:43:47 UTC
Post by Shaun Krok
Hi
I know this probably has been queried and resolved before but I am
struggling to make rancid
include $Group/$Device in the subject line.
I know this works when using -r command line option but this works only
for a single host (from router.db)
it does not do that; how would that work for multiple hosts, say 100 devices
in a group?
Shaun Krok
2014-10-15 17:09:50 UTC
Thanks but when I run : rancid-run -r 'hostname' & it works..
Looking for the same but when running the same script but without the -r option

Is this not done with control_rancid ?

This email message and its attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may not be shared with any other party. They may contain confidential information of 888 Holdings plc or its direct and indirect subsidiaries (together, the “888 Group”) and are to be regarded as confidential information under any non-disclosure agreement. Any review, use, disclosure or distribution by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. Nothing in this message is capable of or intended to create any legally binding obligation. The 888 Group will only ever assume a legally binding obligation where recorded in a written agreement duly executed by the authorized signatories of the relevant 888 Group company. The 888 Group accepts no liability for any personal views expressed in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return and destroy all copies of the original message and its attachments. Thank
Shaun Krok
2015-02-04 07:33:38 UTC
Hi there

I was hoping someone had come across this issue.

We are using Rancid to collect diffs from our BIG-IP clusters (as per bash script below)
It works really well but are now facing an issue for reason unknown that when the cluster is not synced the rancid fails and reports fetcher issues.
If I run the bash script below manually on each device it works without issue.
As soon the cluster is synced it works fine ..

It appears that TMSH is not allowing the script to work but it works fine if I run it manually on the BIG-IP

What could be the problem ?

Thank you

Shaun

This email message and its attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may not be shared with any other party. They may contain confidential information of 888 Holdings plc or its direct and indirect subsidiaries (together, the “888 Group”) and are to be regarded as confidential information under any non-disclosure agreement. Any review, use, disclosure or distribution by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. Nothing in this message is capable of or intended to create any legally binding obligation. The 888 Group will only ever assume a legally binding obligation where recorded in a written agreement duly executed by the authorized signatories of the relevant 888 Group company. The 888 Group accepts no liability for any personal views expressed in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return and destroy all copies of the original message and its attachments. Thank you
John Kougoulos
2015-02-04 10:56:43 UTC

I had a similar problem with the width of the terminal, so when the device
was out of sync, the prompt was becoming longer and some of the commands
failed to be parsed.

I had to change in f5rancid the line:
$ENV{'TERM'} = "vt100";

to:
$ENV{'TERM'} = "vt100-w";

Regards,
John

Shaun Krok
2015-02-06 18:51:06 UTC
Thanks John --- this worked

Much appreciated

Shaun

Post by Shaun Krok
Hi
I am busy to integrate Rancid into our network and have an issue
with partitions on BIG IP LTM v11.x
All works fine but Rancid does not backup all partitions

I am using the script from GIT with TMSH commands
This command work from bash : tmsh -q -c "cd /; list recursive" but
does not from the script ..
This is a snip from the forum where the issue was identified but is
Thanks
Shaun
here is a working tmsh version in the rancid git repo.
The only thing that doesnt work when adjusting the script to list
all
partition co config is a tmsh -q -c "cd /; list recursive" - it errors out
due to extra double quotes required by the -c option.
On Dec 6, 2012 8:57 PM, "Darius Seroka" <dariusjs at gmail.com<http://gmail.com> [1]>
Shaun Krok
Network Team

Annie Lee
2015-02-08 21:16:55 UTC
Hi Shaun,

Sorry. im new to this scripting and hope you dont mind me asking more on
the bash thingy.

1) create a file under root privilege with the below contents : (root for
the F5 or the rancid box) ?

* #!/bin/bash tmsh -q -c 'cd / ;list recursive'*

2) how do i call that via rancid ?

*{'tmsh -q list' => 'WriteTermTMSH'},*

Yes, my rancid is working good with the common partitions..

Thanks
Post by Shaun Krok
Thanks John --- this worked
Much appreciated
Shaun

Shaun Krok
2015-02-09 08:15:36 UTC
Post by Annie Lee
Hi Shaun,
Sorry. im new to this scripting and hope you dont mind me asking more
on the bash thingy.
1) create a file under root privilege with the below contents : (root
for the F5 or the rancid box) ? on the F5
#!/bin/bash
tmsh -q -c cd / ;list recursive
2) how do i call that via rancid ?
_{TMSH -Q LIST => WRITETERMTMSH},_
SNIP from the f5rancid script

# Main
# bigpipe commands, BIGIP v9 and v10
@bigpipe_commandtable = (
{'bigpipe version' => 'ShowVersion'},
{'bigpipe platform' => 'ShowPlatform'},
{'cat /config/bigip.license' => 'ShowLicense'},
{'bigpipe monitor list all' => 'ShowMonitor'},
{'bigpipe profile list' => 'ShowProfile'},
{'bigpipe base list' => 'ShowBaseRun'},
{'bigpipe db show' => 'ShowDb'},
{'bigpipe route static show' => 'ShowRouteStatic'},
#{'ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.crt' => 'ShowSslCrt'},
#{'ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.key' => 'ShowSslKey'},
{'bigpipe list' => 'WriteTermBIGPIPE'}
);
# tmsh commands, BIGIP v11
@tmsh_commandtable = (
{'tmsh show /sys version' => 'ShowVersion'},
{'tmsh show /sys hardware' => 'ShowHardware'},
{'tmsh show /sys license' => 'ShowLicense'},
#{'cat /config/ZebOS.conf' => 'ShowZebOSconf'},
#{'lsof -i :179' => 'ShowZebOSsockets'},
{'tmsh show /net route static' => 'ShowRouteStatic'},
#{'ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.crt' => 'ShowSslCrt'},
#{'ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.key' => 'ShowSslKey'},
#{'tmsh -q list' => 'WriteTermTMSH'},
#{'tmsh -q -c /"cd /;list recursive"/' => 'WriteTermTMSH'},
{'./f5part' => 'WriteTermTMSH'},
Post by Annie Lee
Yes, my rancid is working good with the common partitions..
Thanks
On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Shaun Krok
Post by Shaun Krok
Thanks John --- this worked

Much appreciated

Shaun

SENT: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 12:57 PM
TO: Shaun Krok
SUBJECT: Re: [rancid] rancid not working with partitions v11.x tmsh
F5 LTM

Hi,

On Dec 6, 2012 8:57 PM, "Darius Seroka" <dariusjs at gmail.com
[4] [1]>
Post by Shaun Krok
Shaun Krok
Network Team
--
Shaun Krok
Tel: 050 2424 381

Tel: 050 2424 381
Annie Lee
2015-02-09 21:29:11 UTC
Hi Shaun,

I've wrote a script with the below content to run from the F5, but error
out..(hence it wont be successful from rancid)

#!/bin/bash
tmsh -q -c cd / ;list recursive

Thanks

On Dec 6, 2012 8:57 PM, "Darius Seroka" <dariusjs at gmail.com
[4] [1]>
Post by Shaun Krok
Shaun Krok
Network Team
--
Shaun Krok
Tel: 050 2424 381
Tel: 050 2424 381
Annie Lee
2015-02-09 21:46:02 UTC
Just checked the diff (with the added partition configs) and it seems to
have all unnecessary 'default configs' as well.
Is that normal ?
Post by Annie Lee
Hi Shaun,
Managed to get the bash script running, missed the double quote on the
script.
*#! /bin/bashtmsh -q -c "cd /;list recursive"*
Thank you very much...

On Dec 6, 2012 8:57 PM, "Darius Seroka" <dariusjs at gmail.com
[4] [1]>
Post by Shaun Krok
Shaun Krok
Network Team
--
Shaun Krok
Tel: 050 2424 381
Tel: 050 2424 381
Shaun Krok
2015-02-10 05:49:02 UTC
Hi there Annie

Good to hear it is working for you

Can you show us what you mean by default config --- i believe this is
normal but lets see a sample and we can comment

thanks

Shaun
Post by Annie Lee
Hi Shaun,
Managed to get the bash script running, missed the double quote on
the script.
#! /bin/bash
tmsh -q -c "cd /;list recursive"
Thank you very much...
Post by Shaun Krok
Post by Annie Lee
[...]
{./f5part => WriteTermTMSH},
Post by Annie Lee
Yes, my rancid is working good with the common partitions..
Thanks
On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Shaun Krok
Post by Shaun Krok
Thanks John --- this worked

Much appreciated

Shaun

[15]]

Post by Shaun Krok
[...]
[3] [3] [4]>
Post by Shaun Krok
errors out
due to extra double quotes required by the -c option.
On Dec 6, 2012 8:57 PM, "Darius Seroka" <dariusjs at
gmail.com [4]
[4] [1]>
Post by Shaun Krok
Shaun Krok
Network Team
--
Shaun Krok
Tel: 050 2424 381
[...]
[14] [14]

[...]
[26]
[7] http://gmail.com [27]
[29]
[12] http://www.shrubbery.net/mailman/listinfo/rancid-discuss
[32]
[14] http://www.shrubbery.net/mailman/listinfo/rancid-discuss
[34]
[19] http://www.shrubbery.net/mailman/listinfo/rancid-discuss
[39]
--
Shaun Krok
Tel: 050 2424 381
Tel: 050 2424 381
Annie Lee
2015-02-10 20:48:56 UTC
Hi Shaun,

After adding the partition bit, there are additional 40k lines added.
(attached are some of them)

Revision *1.10* - (view
<http://192.168.162.32/viewvc/test/configs/staging?hideattic=1&revision=1.10&view=markup>)
(annotate
<http://192.168.162.32/viewvc/test/configs/staging?annotate=1.10&hideattic=1>)
- [select for diffs]
<http://192.168.162.32/viewvc/test/configs/staging?view=log&hideattic=1&r1=1.10>

*Mon Feb 9 22:39:17 2015 UTC* (22 hours, 1 minute ago) by *rancid*
Branch: *MAIN*
<http://192.168.162.32/viewvc/test/configs/staging?view=log&hideattic=1&pathrev=MAIN>

Changes since *1.9: +44759 -0 lines*
Diff to previous 1.9
<http://192.168.162.32/viewvc/test/configs/staging?hideattic=1&r1=1.9&r2=1.10>

updates

So i amended the script to only capture the additional partition rather
than looping and find the available partition in the F5.

*tmsh -q -c "cd /partition_DMZ;list"*

Thanks
Post by Annie Lee
Ive wrote a script with the below content to run from the F5, but
error out..(hence it wont be successful from rancid)
#!/bin/bash
tmsh -q -c cd / ;list recursive
Thanks
Post by Annie Lee
Hi Shaun,
Post by Annie Lee
Thanks
On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Shaun Krok
Thanks John --- this worked
Post by Shaun Krok
Much appreciated
Shaun
[15]]

Post by Shaun Krok
errors out
due to extra double quotes required by the -c option.
On Dec 6, 2012 8:57 PM, "Darius Seroka" <dariusjs at
gmail.com [4]
[4] [1]>
Post by Shaun Krok
Shaun Krok